one of those days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
you know, where everything goes wrong....

i set off to do a reptile survey and the weather was nice, sunny intervals and warming up. about half an hour in the wind kicked up and it clouded over completely. the ground was very wet after yesterday, so the temperature stalled....

a little bit later and there was some rain...

then the tricky part, under an electric fence and down a steep bank with brambles and nettles... so far so good. the path on the next section is bad, but has been cleared... in fact some old trees have been coppiced... the area around them has no undergrowth, the bank is at least 45 degrees and it was muddy... my top foot slid from under me, down i went, hard and then i tumbled to the bottom (only a few feet, but enough). my right side was muddy and a bit sore, but nothing damaged.

i finished the survey by crossing a water channel via a plank. the water level was high and there were a lot of reeds to push aside, but i got across. alas, as i had come over the plank dipped and went below the water level... on the way back it was very slippery, one step, two steps, ok... then down i went, left leg in the water, right leg landing on the plank.

soaked and smelling of pond, off i went to get food. then it started to rain.

with no chance to dry off now i went home... waited ages for the first bus. waited even longer for the second and the traffic was heavy, so it took aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages.

mind you, the slightly fettid water smell meant i had a seat to myself on the bus!

As a geologist, I remember identical days many years ago, rock hunting, crawling up streams to look at the rocks in the bottom, always in the rain, always somewhere high up and remote from a warm pub, clambering onto an ancient, unheated, coach to crawl back to Leeds in the rain, fog and gales of a dank and grey autumnal day. Fortunately I seemed to grow out of it, and now others do it for me.......

Obviously not just reptile hunters then.

Top Bottom