One pannier. Which side?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
BentMikey said:
I think you'll have to take it back, assuming you consider a tailbox to be a pannier!

3878648578_ec9e964175.jpg

A tail box is an aerodynamic aid and symmetrical.

A single pannier is neither

Mark_Robson

Cunobelin said:
A tail box is an aerodynamic aid and symmetrical.

A single pannier is neither
+1
OMG I agreed with Cunobelin. :ohmy:

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
BentMikey said:
Two panniers are even more of an aerodynamic aid. :biggrin:

Clipping on two panniers for reasons of symmetry and aerodynamics when even one would be lightly filled is , frankly, the sign of an anal personality?????:ohmy:

Crankarm

Guru
Neither side as in the middle. Brompton you see, when I ride it, which isn't often at the mo. And at the front on the block. The Touring pannier can carry lots.

Mike!

Guru
My rack and panniers arrive this week (hopefully!), when using a single it will be on the Right side as others have said to hopefully give the bike more width and better overtakes.

One can hope!!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
slowmotion said:
I commute with one pannier on the back, on the kerb-side of the bike. I figure that someone passing very close might hit it if it was on the other side.

Which side is yours?

Thanks.

You have a pannier that is wider than your handle bars? If a driver is passing close enough to hit your pannier they are close enough to hit your arm. It is very rare that drivers will pass that close. Besides carrying a pannier on the off side make the bike appear wider and encourages drivers to pass wider (in my opinion). Anyone know of any objective research on this? Might make a good MSc project for someone...

mark i

This is obviously anecdotal, however I went from using a rucksac to using a pair of panniers. I immediately noticed a reduction in the number of close passes. They just make the bike look wider at the back.

shunter

Another for the right side. Is it a left handed, right handed thing ??

OK, start again but declare if you are right handed or left handed :angry:

Or maybe its a ginger thing .......................... :ohmy:

Maizie

Veteran
Right-handed and ginger, me. Though I am left-footed, that's the one that does the first pedal stoke for me.

And right-side for my pannier. Actually mine is a bikebin covered in reflectives back and front, it seems a shame to hide it away on the left where the other road users might not even see it.

shunter

I should have added pannier right side - right handed and non ginger and kicks with the right foot. Strangely enough that would be a declaration of your religion in this part of the country :ohmy:

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
HJ said:
You have a pannier that is wider than your handle bars? ..

The bars stick out 300mm and the pannier sticks out 330mm, so I agree there isn't much in it. However, if someone came up behind me very close, and only started to pull out at the last second to pass me, he might clip a drive side pannier and miss the bars. (Sorry, I'm not explaining it well.) In other words, he might not be going parallel to me when he passes.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Bars are a single slim line, usually silver or black ... whereas your pannier is a dense looking block which might even be an eye catching colour such as yellow or red ... still some motorists seem to have problems seeing the big blogs sat on top of the lump of metal even if they are wearing bright colours:biggrin:.

Also if a driver was going to just clip me... not that I want him to, I think it would have less affect if it was the bag rather than the bars?

slowmotion said:
Clipping on two panniers for reasons of symmetry and aerodynamics when even one would be lightly filled is , frankly, the sign of an anal personality?????:sad:

There is a reply there, involving anal, filling and single panniers - but I am a gentleman

stevepratt48

On the left, every time you stop, the pannier gives a nice soft platform to lean against wall/bush/passer by.
Geez, we must have too much time......

Top Bottom