One thing I don't understand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK, I'm a new poster on here. I'm a car driver, motorcyclist and cyclist.
I've been on the road now for over 40 years on one form of transport or another and am VERY aware of the dangers we ALL face on the roads.
I must ask one question of the cycling community....
WHY for God's sake does nobody (apart from me it seems) have a rear view mirror on their bicycle?....
I was taught to drive in 1975 and the one thing that my instructor impressed upon me is the need to be absolutely aware of everything going on around me, to the side and to the rear as well as in front.
The thought of riding a bicycle on any road with a 30 ton lorry approaching from behind fills me with dread, not even being able to see it coming is surely insane!
Please don't post a reply about how the sound alerts you, we all see many cyclists riding with stereo's on their heads how would they hear?.... and the amount of cyclists looking over their shoulder is almost negligible.
I just cannot understand why no mirrors.
Simon

PS, I'm very aware as my first post this might be taken by some to be provocative and argumentative...it's not meant to be. If the post draws too many negative, nasty or inflammatory comments, I'll ask admin to pull it.

Origamist

Legendary Member
What road danger reduction benefit do you believe a mirror confers on you when you're riding a bike? How does it make it less likely you will be involved in a collision?

If you want a simple and honest answer, I don't have one because my neck works, and because my rising position varies often enough (on drops, on bars, standing to pedal, sitting to pedal, sitting up straight, going aero) that mirror placement is going to be problematic.

But the main reason is because I can turn my head to look really enough - and importantly, that very act of looking can often alert the driver behind me of a possible move, and alter their driving.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
WHY for God's sake does nobody (apart from me it seems) have a rear view mirror on their bicycle?....

sat in a driver's seat, it's not that easy to turn your head and shoulders and have a glance behind you, hence the need for rear view mirrors in motor vehicles. On a bicycle, it's easy to look behind without having to use a mirror. It's not rocking horse science. :smile:

DRHysted

Guru
Tried a mirror.
It didn't work & was more of problem.
Removed the mirror.

The way I see it is a motorist that hasn't seen me will not be effected by me seeing them.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Coming from motorbiking, I do lifesavers quite regularly (hell, I do lifesavers walking) but there are various mirror solutions out there and some people use them. When I was new to cycling I was very tempted by one of the ones that clipped on to the helmet (negating a lot of the issues with handlebar mounted mirrors) but I realised that they'd be a hindrance to looking forwards (the position would annoy me) and I don't really have a need because you have a lot of vision on a bicycle.

It's a valid question though. There is also 'it looks nerdy', 'it's more stuff on the bike' and 'they often don't do what they are supposed to'. But as I say, my big one is after riding for a bit they just don't fill a gap I feel I have.

Simple answer for me is : I am to busy looking what obstacles I have in front of me
If a vehicle is going to hit you from behind I don t see how a mirror is going to change it
Being a track rider I turn my head around just like other cyclist do

LonesomeWanderer

Über Member
Yep, it's much better to turn around and have a good look, on a bike there's no pillars or bodywork blocking the view. Not sure how I would act differently if I saw a 30 ton lorry in a mirror anyway, because holding your line is the best thing you can do....

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... that very act of looking can often alert the driver behind me of a possible move, and alter their driving.

That's one thing that i find slightly annoying but also refreshing... I shoulder check regularly, but occasionally an approaching driver will read my shoulder check as a right turn signal and hang back.

OP
OP
S
Guys, guys........Please don't talk rubbish....I have a mirror on my bicycle, I use it ALL the time, it's NOT useless, I can see behind me perfectly well.
Origamist.....Surely knowing what's behind you MUST help? A car approaching at speed too close to you.......A tipper lorry swerving....any number of things. Surely ANYTHING that keeps you safer has GOT to be a good thing?
DRYysted......Mirror creating problems? pray tell how?
Drago....Vibrates?...we talking about a motorcycle here?????

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Rule #66 // No mirrors. Mirrors are allowed on your (aptly named) Surly Big Dummy or your Surly Long Haul Trucker. Not on your road steed. Not on your Mountain bike. Not on your helmet. If someone familiar with The Rules has sold you such an abomination, return the mirror and demand a refund, plus interest and damages

Read more on Velominati: http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
That's one thing that i find slightly annoying but also refreshing... I shoulder check regularly, but occasionally an approaching driver will read my shoulder check as a right turn signal and hang back.
I find the same, I'll be anticipating I'm going to do a right turn and wanting to gauge when I'm going to do it, but the driver behind assumes I'm going to do it immediately, so if they are hanging back I'll move out earlier than I perhaps intended.

Looking behind allows you a much wider view. I've contemplated a mirror but decided it would probably reduce the number of looks behind I would do.

Top Bottom