One thing I don't understand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biking_fox

Guru
So more resistance than a well maintained mech? Exactly what I meant.

Heaviest. Yep, no TdF racers clamouring to fit them.

However, low maintenance, the potential for great reliability (although when they do fail you can't bodge your way round it as you might with a mech), so they do have some advantages.

As yet there's no perfect gearing solution. All we can do is move the needle around the dial for the compromise that suits us best, so campaigning any one system is a bit pointless.

PS, I like the username.

Yes you can - the most common failure mode is a cable snap/wear/jam. You can still cycle perfectly fine like that you manually adjust it to gear you need and it stays there. Unlike with a mech.

But I agree they aren't to everyone's set of personal compromises.

TreeHuggery

Cyclist with a Mirror
436_1cyclist_with_newspaper.jpg
riding with map.jpg

this one's for you ;-) they're usually holding maps, might have to do one with cyclist reading paper too!

classic33

Leg End Member
Dunno, but seat tube motors aren't Rohloff geared hubs, so I'n not sure how that correlates?
Two were found in bikes from this years TdF, where you don't see Rohloff geared bikes being used.
Mainly because their(hub gear) use isn't allowed.

classic33

Leg End Member
Link to a report?
No. Small piece in one of the cycling magazines. Checking brings up Froomes' bike being tested.

TreeHuggery

Really like that, do you sell them and is that one from a recycled tax disc?
hi yeah I call them the taxing rides collection ;-) I've only just finished that one today so its not on my website yet ....got a few on the website www.treehuggery.co.uk (as well as a "tickets please" collection which is people waiting at bus stops from old bus tickets (I found the tickets at a car boot sale)
feel free to private message me

Sara_H

Guru
Funnily enough, I have been asked three times in the last few weeks by ranty morards why I haven't got mirrors on my bike. When I've explained they've all done that infuriating thing of laughing as if they've been proved right.
Never expected it on cycling forum though.

Top Bottom