One thing I don't understand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I have a Take A Look mirror, mounts to helmet or glasses. I tried a handlebar one from Halfords before, and it was pointless.

I decided to get the helmet one after I was nearly taken out by a car that unexpectedly passed within a whisker.

The mirror is good optically and in terms of image stability, but it doesn't really help with close passers. There just isn't enough time to realise that the car behind is going to pass too closely, or at least enough time to be so sure of this that an emergency get out of the way is needed. At least not on the roads I cycle.

I have found it useful in that it adds to my awareness of what's around me, and for that reason, I still wear it.

But at least the idea of a mirror is not as misguided as this https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/cycling/varia-rearview-radar/prod518151.html. WTF?

Just seen this review https://www.facebook.com/prosapologian/posts/1040686652622853

I have gained a remarkable six sense since I started cycling. I can on most part, also read other road users minds. Sadly many are quite negative thoughts towards me.

Yes I have tried a mirror, but I much prefer turning my head.

Custom24

Über Member
I really don't get it. He says it's a no brainer. Well then it is a very expensive no brainer.

He also says it might just let you know about the guy texting who is about to hit you. Maybe, just maybe, in some specific circumstances, if you were staring at it, you might realise that the dot on it was moving towards you more quickly than it should be. But my guess is that if you were staring at it like that, you would have other problems.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Evolution gave us a thing called a neck that turns and allows you to look behind you, plus two ears to hear with, so no need for mirrors. Plus you look a complete dork with one of these attached to your helmet. I think perhaps the only time that mirror use is sensible on a bike is perhaps a recumbent due to the fact that it's harder to twist the upper body to look behind.
helmet_mirror.jpg
... and some of us were born with less than ideal hearing, or have trouble turning our necks that far. As for the dork comment, that just reflects (badly) on you.

swansonj

Guru
I really don't get it. He says it's a no brainer. Well then it is a very expensive no brainer.

He also says it might just let you know about the guy texting who is about to hit you. Maybe, just maybe, in some specific circumstances, if you were staring at it, you might realise that the dot on it was moving towards you more quickly than it should be. But my guess is that if you were staring at it like that, you would have other problems.
There's something about the psychology of cycling as well. Part of what I want out of cycling is the same as what I want out of hill walking - the simplicity of being out in the natural world, making progress through that world by my own efforts, as directly connected to that world in as simple a way as possible. Of course, I compromise that desire for simplicity in all sorts of ways, and I would not for a moment defend my choices as objective or consistent. For instance, I choose to cycle on a Rohloff, which in some ways is probably about as complicated as you can get. But I choose a simple, passive, fixed mirror, and have complete sympathy with people who choose not even that. To be cycling along with a radar screen in front of me would feel alien to the spirit of cycling.

swansonj

Guru
You left out heaviest and mechanically most resistive. There ain't no perfect solution out there.
Heaviest, yes. Mechanically most resistive, well, no, actually. Some of the complexity (and weight and certainly cost) of Rohloffs comes from the efforts they put in to reducing resistance. More resistance than a well-maintained derailleur, yes, certainly. Compared to a poorly maintained, poorly adjusted derailleur? Probably a bit better. Compared to other hub gears? Definitely better. Like you say, there ain't no perfect solution; Rohloff's are, depending on your relative priorities, about the best compromise. If your priorities are different, they won't be. Bit like mirrors. And clipless.

Drago

Legendary Member
So more resistance than a well maintained mech? Exactly what I meant.

Heaviest. Yep, no TdF racers clamouring to fit them.

However, low maintenance, the potential for great reliability (although when they do fail you can't bodge your way round it as you might with a mech), so they do have some advantages.

As yet there's no perfect gearing solution. All we can do is move the needle around the dial for the compromise that suits us best, so campaigning any one system is a bit pointless.

PS, I like the username.

swansonj

Guru
So more resistance than a well maintained mech? Exactly what I meant.

Heaviest. Yep, no TdF racers clamouring to fit them.

However, low maintenance, the potential for great reliability (although when they do fail you can't bodge your way round it as you might with a mech), so they do have some advantages.

As yet there's no perfect gearing solution. All we can do is move the needle around the dial for the compromise that suits us best, so campaigning any one system is a bit pointless.

PS, I like the username.
Absolutely. There's a delicate line between explaining why I concluded a Rohloff was the least bad compromise for me, and seeming to seek to persuade others it might be the best compromise for them. If I strayed into the latter, I apologise. ^_^

Anyway, back to mirrors, and I think we probably have close to unanimity that, whatever our views on mirrors, radar screens are possibly OTT...

Top Bottom