One thing I don't understand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
*blushes*

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't think anyone is suggesting that people use a mirror exclusively, to judge the speed of overtaking traffic or whether or not it is safe to turn right. That would be stupid. But as a way of keeping a picture of what is going on behind and planning moves in advance (with confirmation from a proper look behind when needed) I think they are very effective. I wouldn't like to ride a motorbike without at least one mirror, and that's when you are faster than most traffic, not slower. I'm thinking of getting a mirror on the commuter bike, not to rely on but as way of getting advance warning of what is going on in my blind spot. True, in a mirror you can't judge speed accurately, but that's not what they are for. They tell you things are there and approaching you - useful stuff to know. You can get that from a glance behind, but you can check a mirror every few seconds if needs be. Harder to look over your shoulder every few seconds and keep aware of what is going on ahead. I wouldn't rely on one, but I wouldn't dismiss it either.
On motorbike you lose part of your hearing ability, due to an enclosed environment around the head.

JMAG

Über Member
Two of us got buzzed by a motorbike this morning. I can't say exactly how close he came to me, but he came within a gnats hair of my buddy. I have a mirror, but I seldom have it on the bike. I'm not sure how it would have made any difference today, but I may have dived for the grass verge or at least made sure I didn't change my line even if confronted with a pothole.

The motorbike was travelling so fast neither of us even had time for a shoulder check nor able catch the number plate. I wish I'd had a cam though as the Police might take action given video evidence and 2 witnesses, which
which one of our group thought was what's required for them to take action. I've no idea if this is true, but it was only luck that prevented someone getting hurt. He also buzzed the others further back down the road, so there's no doubt it was deliberate.

RedRider

Pulling through
Cyclist with a Mirror
436_1cyclist_with_newspaper.jpg

earlestownflya

very clever:laugh:

earlestownflya

no doubt cyclists are not given a wide enough berth by the majority of motorists on british roads.only if they were cyclists themselves would they know about grid covers,potholes and other sh*te in the gutter,had many a close call involving lorries.We need more cams out there to catch these b*stards:cursing: and get them prosecuted.Unfortunately you're always going to get this happening.That's why you've always gotta be on you're mettle.

RichardB

Slightly retro
On motorbike you lose part of your hearing ability, due to an enclosed environment around the head.

My motorcycle helmet (a Shoei) was pretty quiet, and the straps on my cycle helmet make a lot of noise in the wind. I am not sure I can hear too much of a difference, to be honest. I certainly don't hear cars approaching from behind unless they rev their engines.

Cyclist with a Mirror
Nah, that's a broadsheet. Telegraph, at a minimum!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tin Pot

Guru
The Motorcyclist, the May Fly of humanity, advising on road safety.

Not so much hilarious, as fleeting entertainment whilst the wine is being poured, before something worth paying attention to comes on.

Is the OP dead yet?

RichardB

Slightly retro
The Motorcyclist, the May Fly of humanity, advising on road safety.

Not so much hilarious, as fleeting entertainment whilst the wine is being poured, before something worth paying attention to comes on.
Was that remark directed at me? I'm trying to work out if it is a serious contribution or just a snide comment.

Top Bottom