One thing I don't understand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I can, I do, and I still choose to fit a mirror, thanks. I can cycle up Box Hill in a 50" gear, but I choose to cycle up it in a 30" gear - it's easier. God speed to anyone who chooses to cycle up hills in a higher gear than me, or not to fit a mirror. I trust you in turn will wish me God speed, and preferably avoid implying that I fit a mirror because I haven't bothered to acquire the skill of looking behind me.
That is not what I was intending to imply. I think it's important that all cyclists develop road skills including looking behind them, but it's absolutely up to you if you choose to augment this skill by also fitting a mirror :okay:. So yes, God speed, whatever gear you choose to ride in!

(My comment was aimed at the people who have explicitly said that they can't safely look behind them.)

Last edited:

Origamist

Legendary Member
Well... I use mirrors. I like them, I feel safer. There are pro and cons, but we can all make our own decisions and reach our own conclusions. each to his/her own.

In the understandable absence of objective, robust studies (or any study for that matter), the subjective safety is argument is going to carry a significant amount of weight for people on both sides of the mirror debate, but particularly mirror users. The degree to which behavioural adaptation will play a role in affecting any safety benefit a mirror confers, is anybody's guess, but I'd be surprised if it didn't have an effect.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I have a bar end mirror on both road bikes. As said they are useful for just checking what's occurring behind me. I doubt they induce any significant amount of drag on the bike, particularly at the speeds I go, so I don't understand how anyone can be vehemently against them.

Then again I've ridden bikes without them and I don't understand how anyone can be vehemently for them either. A useful tool and that's about it. Can we move on to slagging off helmets again now please?

Lurpak

not interested mate
im waiting for someone to come along and say i cycle whilst wearing a helmet coz it once saved my life when i ran a red light while looking in my mirror to see if the chap wearing headphones and team kit had waved at me or not.......:wacko:
Someone did. In 2009 aaaahhhhhh.

classic33

Leg End Member
Evolution provided us with two legs that articulate in a way that allows walking from A to B, so no need for bicycles at all?
(Repeat for the avoidance of doubt - I have no objection whatsoever to people not fitting mirrors, just to arguments that appear flawed to support their choices. This really is very like helmets, isn't it...)
The wheel allowed faster movement from A to B though. At first propelled by the feet on the ground.

Ganymede

Veteran
[QUOTE 3868870, member: 259"]I like mirrors and I think they're very useful, but I haven't seen anything that seems as if it will work convincingly on drop bars.
I have Mirrycle ones on the flat barred bikes, which work very well and don't suffer from vibration problems at all.
I wouldn't ride a motorbike without a mirror either.[/QUOTE]
Have you tried one on your cap/helmet? I really want to know if anyone has and if it works well - having seen this bloke sculling with one on the Thames.

uclown2002

Guru
I have as much use for a mirror, as I do for a bell, i.e none.

swansonj

Guru
[QUOTE 3868870, member: 259"]I like mirrors and I think they're very useful, but I haven't seen anything that seems as if it will work convincingly on drop bars.
I have Mirrycle ones on the flat barred bikes, which work very well and don't suffer from vibration problems at all.
I wouldn't ride a motorbike without a mirror either.[/QUOTE]
I adapted a Mirrycle for drop bars. I took the variant designed for old-style brake levers where the cable came out of the top of the hood. I filled in the cylindrical end, the bit the hollow bolt goes through, with epoxy, then drilled a smaller (M4 clearance) hole through that. I then drilled and tapped an M4 threaded hole in the solid top of the brake lever, and cut a corresponding hole in the robber hood. It works, though I would assume that a good sharp knock might well beak it.

That was in the days when I had (a) more spare time (b) access to a workshop. It seemed worth it because Mirrycles do seem to be about the only mirror immune to vibration problems.

Ganymede

Veteran
[QUOTE 3868924, member: 259"]No, I don't wear a helmet any more, and I always supposed they needed something solid to be fixed to.[/QUOTE]
That's why I said "cap/helmet", not knowing in advance what your preference is. This chap in the boat was just wearing an ordinary cap, but if you don't wear anything on your head it's not viable obvs! - just thought I'd mention it as you like mirrors. I want someone to come on this thread and say if it's a good way of using a mirror or not! Hey ho.

BTW I suspect it's not a brilliant solution as the mirror would be so close to your eye and be distracting and poss block the view of other things on the road. Less of a concern on the river where the traffic is slower and the bends/topography more of a known quantity to a regular club rower.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Have you tried one on your cap/helmet? I really want to know if anyone has and if it works well - having seen this bloke sculling with one on the Thames.

A "take a look mirror" will fit to a helmet or glasses - I'm not sure if it would work with a cap - perhaps if the seam/edge was reasonably thick it would grip OK. I found it very good at giving a view behind me, if properly set up (it does need a bit of tweeking). The downside is that it does create a blindspot when you look ahead.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
this bloke?
3807573521_27f8d7d56c_z.jpg

oldroadman

Veteran
Thanks to all conItributors for giving me a good laugh about nothing in particular on a wet day. We're all different..all have opinions...all think they are probably OK..
But what do I know? It's an amusement to while away the time until it stops raining and I can get out.

Lonestar

Veteran
Thought of using a mirror loads of times.(come into thread a bit late).My look on mirrors is I would probably panic if I saw something haring up on me when sometimes this isn't the best course of action and I prefer to look round at regular intervals as well.Possibly gives me a better insight of what's going on around me and the risks also.

Top Bottom