One thing I don't understand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chaz32

Regular
Only started cycling again recently and I am not that confident on bike yet to turn my head around to look behind. I am not sure about mirrors on bikes. There are times I would like one but that may distract me from looking ahead. Also being on a bike you can hear when a car is approaching behind. In terms of the safety aspect of having mirrors I am not sure having mirrors will make me safer on the road. It could have the total opposite effect. I used to be a driving instructor I always taught car drivers to use mirrors for reasons of safety giving reasons why we should check mirrors and what to do in the case of a situation coming up in the vision of the mirrors. But cycling is different in many ways. I would much prefer cyclists to be looking ahead rather than looking in vibrating mirrors. In a car you can check mirror with a quick glance but but on a bike when the mirror is vibrating badly you will be encouraged to stare in that mirror and that could lead to a lack of awareness of what is ahead of you. The vibration issue could also distort the image you would see and lead to taking action that is not safe.

Only started cycling again recently and I am not that confident on bike yet to turn my head around to look behind. I am not sure about mirrors on bikes. There are times I would like one but that may distract me from looking ahead. Also being on a bike you can hear when a car is approaching behind. In terms of the safety aspect of having mirrors I am not sure having mirrors will make me safer on the road. It could have the total opposite effect. I used to be a driving instructor I always taught car drivers to use mirrors for reasons of safety giving reasons why we should check mirrors and what to do in the case of a situation coming up in the vision of the mirrors. But cycling is different in many ways. I would much prefer cyclists to be looking ahead rather than looking in vibrating mirrors. In a car you can check mirror with a quick glance but but on a bike when the mirror is vibrating badly you will be encouraged to stare in that mirror and that could lead to a lack of awareness of what is ahead of you. The vibration issue could also distort the image you would see and lead to taking action that is not safe.
there are also plenty of other sources for information on what is going on around you (except for providing information about other cyclists). Reflections in windows, bus stops, other vehicles (it clean enough) all prove enough information to know that there is a vehicle. People seem to forget that you don't need to know that make model or even colour of a vehicle to know that it exists and that is all that is needed in the way of information. That there is a vehicle there.

Mirrors are no different to the helmet/headphones debate. They are your choice and that's the end of it really. Your choice.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Are there really cyclists who can't / won't look behind themselves safely? You need to stop riding in traffic, find a nice quiet road and practice. It's such a fundamental and necessary skill for riding a bike.

Excepting those with neck mobility issues etc. They should probably get a mirror.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Are there really cyclists who can't / won't look behind themselves safely? You need to stop riding in traffic, find a nice quiet road and practice. It's such a fundamental and necessary skill for riding a bike.

Excepting those with neck mobility issues etc. They should probably get a mirror.
It is a skill, just like all the other ones such as signalling, reading the road, cycling in a straight line, track standing cornering at speed etc. some find it easier than others. I imagine if you find it difficult you won't be cycling in central London or other busy cities for example, if you cycle on really quiet roads then you could hear approaching traffic fairly well. Yes you should keep on practising it, trying to improve, but they may have adapted their cycling to suit their skills.

Last edited:

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Evolution gave us a thing called a neck that turns and allows you to look behind you, plus two ears to hear with, so no need for mirrors. Plus you look a complete dork with one of these attached to your helmet. I think perhaps the only time that mirror use is sensible on a bike is perhaps a recumbent due to the fact that it's harder to twist the upper body to look behind.
helmet_mirror.jpg

Chaz32

Regular

I only cycle on quiet country roads. I am practising turning head round while cycling I will not be going in high traffic areas until I feel completely safe doing this.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Bar end mirrors on all my bikes.

I like to glance regularly as I trundle along, even on cycle paths.

Particularly handy on my regular group rides to see how far behind some of the others are.

Believe it or not, there are sometimes members of the group behind me.

Shoulder check as well for right turns.

swansonj

Guru
Are there really cyclists who can't / won't look behind themselves safely?
I can, I do, and I still choose to fit a mirror, thanks. I can cycle up Box Hill in a 50" gear, but I choose to cycle up it in a 30" gear - it's easier. God speed to anyone who chooses to cycle up hills in a higher gear than me, or not to fit a mirror. I trust you in turn will wish me God speed, and preferably avoid implying that I fit a mirror because I haven't bothered to acquire the skill of looking behind me.

swansonj

Guru
Evolution gave us a thing called a neck that turns and allows you to look behind you, plus two ears to hear with, so no need for mirrors.
Evolution provided us with two legs that articulate in a way that allows walking from A to B, so no need for bicycles at all?
(Repeat for the avoidance of doubt - I have no objection whatsoever to people not fitting mirrors, just to arguments that appear flawed to support their choices. This really is very like helmets, isn't it...)

Top Bottom