one-way berations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Today I got cut up by some idiot who turned left into a petrol station across me. He then just pulled up at the pump in order to fill up, so as he was stopping i saw an opportunity to berate him for his dangerous, selfish manoevre. However, as usual, I had my mp3 player on and dhb ear warmer on over that, so there's no way i would have heard what he was saying back. It would have been a time consuming pain in the arse to either undo my helmet, lift my ear warmer, and take my headhones out, or rummage in my pocket with gloved hands, unlock the mp3 player and turn it off. So I came to the conclusion that I would have to commit a one-way beration. I cycled up and shouted "OI!! drive like that on your test, did you?" (cheers magnatom for that one :o) he looked bewildered. I then from about 4 feet from him, jabbed a finger aggressively towards him and shouted "just WATCH IT in future!" By this point he was getting out of his car/van and shouted something back, but I couldn't make out what it was, I just called him a 'cock' as i cycled off.
Part of me thinks a polite word would have been much more useful, and constructive, but another half of me thinks he just needs to be made aware he did something wrong so he thinks before doing it again.
But I don't really see stopping and starting taking things off just so i can hear his voice as a viable/worthwhile option.
Surely some other of you lot must have faced this situation?

Dave5N

Über Member
Mate, he didn't have a clue who you were, what you were saying or why you were saying it. You were just the nutter at the garage. Time you had spoken to him, he had forgotten all about cutting you up, even if he had even noticed you in the first place.

Leave yer headphones at home next time.

Not a bad idea, in some ways; my experience of giving other road users a bollocking for some breach of road ettiquette is that they rarely engage in constructive debate, so you may as well make your point, let them speak in response and then smile sweetly and say "sorry, can't hear a word you're saying" and pedal off.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Dave5N said:

not an option - some roads are boring without music. i'm sure he did hear what i was saying, but that's not the issue is it. answer the question that's been asked dave.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Terminator said:
Hand signals do go down well.

oh what, sorry ? am I supposed to give a hand signal that i'm CARRYING ON straight head, on the road i'm ALREADY on? :smile:
I wouldn't have thought i should have to adopt primary position for every measly little left junction that some idiot might turn into across me, but if motorists cna't be trusted not to be stupid then i might have to start doing it more.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

oh yeah, i do that. But i'd look a bit of a tit wandering up to the petrol pump and doing it, getting gradually closer until he sees me, and then cycling off when he does.

:smile: True.

Pete

Dave5N said:

bonj said:
not an option - some roads are boring without music.
I'm afraid I'm with Dave here. If the road is 'boring without music' - well: it may on the other hand be 'dangerous with music'. Your ears are an important asset: use them to stay alive! Hear the noise of that following car's engine! Hear that ambulance siren approaching from a distance! Listen to music by all means when conditions are appropriate - e.g. cycle path or totally deserted road where you don't expect any vehicles.

[pedant]By the way, the word you were thinking of (in the thread title) is 'berating'. There is no such noun as 'beration' unless you're in the business of firing off nonce-words :biggrin:. Anyway I took it for a typo for 'aberration' :smile:[/pedant]

Tynan

Veteran
firm believer in no music, ears are a big deal for all that blind spot behind

and I like the 'in future' bit

defo a vague implied threat there, nice

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Sign me up for the 'no music' faction. I ride in all sorts of ways that others might have problems with, safety-wise - drafting, rlj, disdain for helmets, blah de blah - but two things I would never compromise: keeping your senses 100% clear and focused on the job in hand, and visibility (ie, being visible, even if it means looking like a wally).

Speaking of which, in passing, this last night from my 11 yr old daughter:

>Daddy, you do know you look absolutely ridiculous in that hat.
>Why thank you darling - how sweet of you to say so.
>Just doing my job.

Tynan

Veteran
yeah but it's booooring!

very rarely get bored myself, there's always something to pay attention to, even if it's only trying to go faster

Tetedelacourse

No music for me, wouldn't feel as aware. Also, how can you be sure you sound angry? You might have sounded like a Beegee and thought you sounded like Mick McCarthy.

One-way tirades are fine as they have cathartic value and are far less offensive than eg the fuel-guzzling bonj-swiper's actions. Fair game. Drive like an idiot, prepare to be castigated like an idiot.

Top Bottom