Online retailers vs Lbs for buying a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bondirob

I've bought from both in the last couple of years and I must say the online support I received was better than the local bike shop.
A special mention must go to Cell Bikes who were an excellent bike shop when I shopped there last and even provided unlimited free servicing for a year.
Wish I lived near them now.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I live close to an Evans(2mins) and the service there has always been excellent.
My local Halfords has always been ok too.
No complaints either about buying/customer service online.
The only bugger about online is when you have to return anything and wait for a replacement.
But, you pays your money, you takes your choice.

gbb

Legendary Member
Depends on the bike to a degree...as in is it a new model ?

When I brought my newly released Bianchi (at that time) there was no or little difference between LBS and all the online retailers, so my LBS definitely got the business.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I knew what bike i wanted when I bought my TCR. My LBS Giant dealer wouldn't even begin to discuss discounting the full list price that was on the Giant website despite it being very late in the season when it was discounted everywhere else, and he couldn't be bothered getting me a test ride either. He offered a test on another model but it was not similar enough for me.
An online retailer (Paul's) was offering the bike with 270 pounds off. He got the business.
As @Roadrider48 says it can be a faff if something goes wrong; My shifter failed after only 8 weeks and I had to wait quite a while for a replacement, but it was done with no quibbles and to be fair to Paul's, even an LBS will have had to mail it to Shimano too. As mentioned, you pay your money and you take your choice, but my experience was sufficiently good to buy a second Giant from Paul's last month.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Both Halfords and online are better than the LBS, which is a shame but there you go.

They could have got the bike in that we ended up driving 50 miles to see (they are dealers), and which my wife subsequently bought, but we weren't prepared to commit to buying it unseen.

The next time it was only a pair of tyres, but to promise to call and then not bother is just plain rude. I got them online.

There hasn't been a third time.

e-rider

crappy member
LBS is always shite IME. I like the wide choice you get online, however having to pay return postage is a problem with Royal Mail prices as high as they are, and shipping a whole bike back for a warranty issue is likely to cost £30+. Still, I shop 100% online. LBS are full of shoot, arrogant, talk bullshite and expect ou to pay full list price for everything knowing that online competition exists. I thionk most people would use a LBS if it was decent even if prices were a bit higher than online.

Ice2911

Über Member
I'm going to stick up for LBS on here. Streetwise Norwich gave me incredibly useful advice, arranged for me to try what I wanted before making a decision. Ensured the bike was set up for me and with free check up and service in the first year. They also gave me discount. Incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. I do buy on line and wider choice but if I can support local businesses, without incurring lots of extra expense, then I will. You make your choice...

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I actually have 3 local shops in town. One of my LBSs is very good to be fair, he's a good guy and I have work done there. He's a Specialized dealer unfortunately, and I don't like their bikes so I don't buy retail stuff from there. The Giant dealer is a Looney, we've established that, and the third shop is one of those places where everything is impossibly wanky and they treat cycling like it's some art form that only they can appreciate fully, with their Victorian waxed moustaches, their flat caps at 23 years of age, and a cocking espresso machine at the till.
I want to support LBSs but they can make it hard sometimes.

OP
OP
B

bondirob

My latest experience was buying a bike new and when the bottom bracket bearing (bb30) went after about 850 miles they said it wasn't covered under the warranty because it's 'wear and tear'.
Pedal On where my other bike is from replaced my damaged front wheel 9 months in and with lots of miles on it.
They contacted Giant for me who gave me a new wheel.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
My latest experience was buying a bike new and when the bottom bracket bearing (bb30) went after about 850 miles they said it wasn't covered under the warranty because it's 'wear and tear'.
Pedal On where my other bike is from replaced my damaged front wheel 9 months in and with lots of miles on it.
They contacted Giant for me who gave me a new wheel.
I thought everything comes with a 12 month guarantee?

OP
OP
B

bondirob

Not according to this bike shop it doesn't.
Although they did offer to try and change them cheap for me which I politely refused.
I'll do it myself and won't be going there in the future.
I've had much better service at James even.
I do know not all bike shops are like this there's one near me that's great but mainly sells Mtb.
However I do find quite a few bike shops a bit elitist which you don't get from other retailers.

Top Bottom