Oooohhhhhhh Vienna! And Budapest.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Inspired by vickster's Grecian request, I thought I'd ask the CC collective if they had any suggestions for things to do in either of these cities.

We've got a few ideas, including a marzipan museum which looks charmingly bonkers, but I wondered if any of you folks had any 'local' knowledge.

Also, both cities boast torture museums. If you've been to both, which is better?

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Vienna is lovely....great cafes, good places to eat, Prater Park (with a lovely 50m outdoor swimming pool and a fanfare), the opera is great (if you are into that), nice walks along the river, and good shopping in the centre.

I doubt I'd get a fanfare for my efforts at not drowning. Love the opera, I'll see if anything is on.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Budapest is a great place for a break. The House of terror was very moving, also worth tacking the train to statue park, They moved all the old statues to a park just outside the city, they did not want to destroy them, Great food and bars loved it, Only downside for me was the airport on the way home, Chaos was the only way to describe it. But would definitely go again. :okay:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
In Budapest, I'd heartily recommend a day here. It has a thermal pools, heated side rooms at various temps, and cold plunge pools.
Great fun.
http://www.szechenyifurdo.hu/

The huge food market is worth a visit too.

eng_budapest_spa_szechenyi-1.jpg

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
Thanks folks! Much appreciated.

@rich p - I dunno if it'll be cold enough for us to jump in an outdoor pool. They'd only just managed to cool the Rockies down enough for a dip when we were in Banff a couple years ago.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The marzipan Museum is the icing on the cake for any visit to Austria. Watch out for pickpockets though, as tourists have things stollen quite often.

I am not a Pfann of Kuchen.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
In Budapest, I'd heartily recommend a day here. It has a thermal pools, heated side rooms at various temps, and cold plunge pools.
Great fun.
http://www.szechenyifurdo.hu/

The huge food market is worth a visit too.

eng_budapest_spa_szechenyi-1.jpg

The szecheny thermal baths are fantastic as is the food market. It's easy to miss the below ground section of the food market so keep an eye out for the stairs leading underground. Google for ruin bars, they are an interesting experience. There's also the National Railway museum with a huge stock of steam locomotives here's a small sample.

328.054-303.002-424.365-411.118-520.034.jpg

The two national galleries at People's Square are worth visiting as is the transport museum with an Antonov transport plane parked on its roof which is a short but pleasant walk away.

The Funicular railway is worth a ride. Tip - just get a one way ticket for the ride up. It's a pleasant walk down.

The parliament building is worth a visit. There's a peculiar water feature in the grounds which creates a ground level cloud that folk like walking through.

The Unicum distillery is also worth a visit. It's an acquired taste but the distillery has an interesting history. The staff are amazingly friendly.

Stephenite

Membå
The spas in Budapest are great. You should really take the time to enjoy them. The food is very good.
Haven't been to Vienna but, as you like music, you couldn't fail.
I'm jealous.

vernon

Oh and in Vienna, the medical museum is quite interesting and cheap at a couple of euros. It's worth using Google Earth to locate it as it's difficult to locate and poorly signposted from the streets. It's easily spotted from google earth as it's a circular building.

vernon

The spas in Budapest are great. You should really take the time to enjoy them. The food is very good.
Haven't been to Vienna but, as you like music, you couldn't fail.
I'm jealous.

The cafes/food stalls are worth visiting upstairs in the food market. It closes early on Saturdays though.

Top Bottom