Oops! I had a slip...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

martynjc1977 said:
Still paying off my bike dude, so any thing i get now will have to be cash only i'm afraid :laugh:

S'alright, I'm only teasing! Money is tight at chez magnatom as well. I can only afford to do this by selling other things to fund it. :laugh:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
magnatom said:
S'alright, I'm only teasing! Money is tight at chez magnatom as well. I can only afford to do this by selling other things to fund it. :laugh:
I think I saw an advert on eBay for his Wife... good starting price too, IIRC. :laugh:;)

Mags, looks a nice setup... but isn't this one comparable for lots less wonga? (I appreciate that it's too late now though!)

martynjc1977

Veteran
magnatom said:

Yep i know that feeling lol, junked the gym to pay for the bike, now considering selling the car as i don't feel like i need it anymore, the other half does need hers tho, or i would sell that to. :laugh:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Sh4rkyBloke said:
I think I saw an advert on eBay for his Wife... good starting price too, IIRC. :laugh:;)

Mags, looks a nice setup... but isn't this one comparable for lots less wonga? (I appreciate that it's too late now though!)

Ah, I certainly know about that one. However, it has at least half the battery power, and only records in MPEG4 and at lower bit rate. So although the videos will be reasonable, the quality will be lower. Resolution isn't everything (I'm a geek you see!:laugh:)

I've also heard of other users not being entirely happy with it (I some of the connectors are a bit flimsy etc).

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
magnatom said:
Ah, I certainly know about that one. However, it has at least half the battery power, and only records in MPEG4 and at lower bit rate. So although the videos will be reasonable, the quality will be lower. Resolution isn't everything (I'm a geek you see!:laugh:)

I've also heard of other users not being entirely happy with it (I some of the connectors are a bit flimsy etc).
It says "full D1 720 x 576 resolution with up to 10mb/s Bit rate" but the other one (the one you have) says "It can record at 8mb/s 720 x 576"... am I misunderstanding what all this means? (quite possible!). :laugh:

Agreed, battery time is pretty naff, but spare battery available for £4.99 from the accessories section, IIRC.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Sorry, what i meant to focus on was the difference between mpeg2 and mpeg4. There is a lot less compression on mpeg2 compared to mpeg4, so in general, especially for fast moving pictures I think mpeg2 is considered better. Of course the nice thing about the one I'm getting is it's flexibility, being able to record in both.

:laugh:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Oh and I believe the codecs on the one I am buying are 'supposed' to be better. :laugh:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I must admit that the ContourHD is getting my attention because of the much better ability to capture detail, esp. number plates. I've lost several recently, I'm not as quick-fire of mouth as gaz is, LOL!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
magnatom said:
Sorry, what i meant to focus on was the difference between mpeg2 and mpeg4. There is a lot less compression on mpeg2 compared to mpeg4, so in general, especially for fast moving pictures I think mpeg2 is considered better. Of course the nice thing about the one I'm getting is it's flexibility, being able to record in both.

:tongue:
Aaah, okay... didn't know that.

<< Goes off to consult Google to see what Mags is blathering on about >> :becool:

GrasB

Veteran
Mags, it's not that simple. MPEG2 needs more bandwidth for the same quality of video compared to MPEG4 codecs (which are more a class than a single codec) so what you gain in motion fidelity you may well lose in worse compression rates.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

GrasB said:
Mags, it's not that simple. MPEG2 needs more bandwidth for the same quality of video compared to MPEG4 codecs (which are more a class than a single codec) so what you gain in motion fidelity you may well lose in worse compression rates.

Indeedy, but I tend to find that I can't make out detail on my commuting videos due to motion, rather than the intrinsic detail. The HQR2 also has a specific 'sports mode' which is supposed to improve matters in fast moving images. It has enough options etc to keep me playing and optimising! :becool:

Top Bottom