Oops I've just bought a Telescope!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Depends really what you're underwhelmed with...

There are a couple of things.

Are you acclimatising the scope? it needs to be outside for a good 20-30 mins so the mirrors can adjust to the temps.
Is the mount/surface your putting the scope on stable?
What eyepieces are you using?
I lined it up with a 20mm eyepiece, then swapped to a 6mm which gave an image that covered probably 50% of the diameter of the field of view.

It was more the contrast and sharpness that I wasn't too impressed with, I didn't know about the acclimatising though, and it's on a solid wooden work bench.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Mars is in the SW sky at the moment. It’s a bit cloudy here to see it, sadly

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
a 6mm will give you 50x with that telescope and should give you a wide FOV with its focal ratio. So sounds about right. The theoretical maximum of a home telescope is usually measured at about 30x per inch of aperture, so you're good to about 90x. I'd acclimatise it and try again. I don't know how long you have left to return it if you're not happy but a good clear night is what you want for a good test...

Rocky

Hello decadence
My stellarium app is showing me lots of things, unfortunately the clouds won't let me see them though. 😊
That’s the story of my life too. Spring and autumn are perfect times for stargazing, if only the weather was a little better.

stephec

Legendary Member
a 6mm will give you 50x with that telescope and should give you a wide FOV with its focal ratio. So sounds about right. The theoretical maximum of a home telescope is usually measured at about 30x per inch of aperture, so you're good to about 90x. I'd acclimatise it and try again. I don't know how long you have left to return it if you're not happy but a good clear night is what you want for a good test...
It was from John Lewis, I originally wanted a 80mm refractor but they've been out of stock since Christmas and they can't say when they'll have them again.

I'll think I'll hang on for a clear sky, hopefully I don't have to wait too long before the nights start getting lighter, and it's even daylight at 06:00 here now, what do you do in summer?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
It was from John Lewis, I originally wanted a 80mm refractor but they've been out of stock since Christmas and they can't say when they'll have them again.

I'll think I'll hang on for a clear sky, hopefully I don't have to wait too long before the nights start getting lighter, and it's even daylight at 06:00 here now, what do you do in summer?
I used to go out later at night/early hours but now I just wait until September. Sometimes there are events that gets me out during the summer though.

stephec

Legendary Member
Something cheap popped up local to me so I couldn't resist it for learning with.

It's got a 6mm, 12.5mm, and 2x barlow with it.

Luckily the EQ mount looks like I can point in the same way as an AZ, until I actually figure out how it works that is.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Looks like a 114mm newtonian. Which will have about 130% more light gathering ability than your other one. Should make things noticeably brighter.

Using EQ mode is better. Because then you only need to move one axis, the Right Ascension to follow your target as it counteracts the rotation of the Earth, the main benefit of that mount. You basically need to point that RA axis towards the celestial north pole, which is the axis you see with silver setting circle is on your mount. The star Polaris is close enough. It doesn't need to be 100% precise alignment for visual work.

Once you've done it a few times it becomes easy. Once you master it, pretty much ALL amateur telescopes with a german equatorial mount such as yours align the same way... a good advantage.

Here are some sources for you.

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/equatorial-mounts-an-astronomers-guide/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdkB5NCnFps

stephec

Legendary Member
Looks like a 114mm newtonian. Which will have about 130% more light gathering ability than your other one. Should make things noticeably brighter.

Using EQ mode is better. Because then you only need to move one axis, the Right Ascension to follow your target as it counteracts the rotation of the Earth, the main benefit of that mount. You basically need to point that RA axis towards the celestial north pole, which is the axis you see with silver setting circle is on your mount. The star Polaris is close enough. It doesn't need to be 100% precise alignment for visual work.

Once you've done it a few times it becomes easy. Once you master it, pretty much ALL amateur telescopes with a german equatorial mount such as yours align the same way... a good advantage.

Here are some sources for you.

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/equatorial-mounts-an-astronomers-guide/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdkB5NCnFps

Thanks Dave, that's what it is, with a 500mm length.

I'm now starting to read up on collimation. 😊

Top Bottom