Oops I've just bought a Telescope!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A couple of further thoughts. The tripod is an important component so try to gauge how good that part is in reviews. Also, just about the only really good thing is taking pics of the moon - and you will need an adapter lens to mate with your camera.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
and if you can stretch the budget a bit, this looks very impressive indeed

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274133624413

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not a good choice really - poor optical design and regularly slated. Besides, I think the OP is looking to spend some John Lewis vouchers.

I'd forgotton the John Lewis point. Anyhow, what do you think's wrong with it as it's
the same make as the others and a Newtownian isn't exactly a bad design per se - at least one of the others was also a Newtonian from the same maker

stephec

Legendary Member
John Lewis it is.

It's one of them things that has always interested me, but not enough to do the deed. Then a few weeks ago I bought a cheap astronomy book and did a search for beginner telescopes, JL was on the second page of the results and I had the vouchers given to me by work only the day before.

If they don't come back in stock there we'll have to see.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Anyhow, what do you think's wrong with it as it's
the same make as the others and a Newtownian isn't exactly a bad design per se - at least one of the others was also a Newtonian from the same maker
It's a Bird-Jones design with a spherical rather than parabolic mirror. The Newtonian design is indeed a good one, and Celestron make several reasonable Newtonian reflectors, but this is a poor one for that reason.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It's a Bird-Jones design with a spherical rather than parabolic mirror. The Newtonian design is indeed a good one, and Celestron make several reasonable Newtonian reflectors, but this is a poor one for that reason.

Ah, a spherical mirror would indeed be shyte, particularly as it seems quite a short focal length well spotted ! I thought Celestron would only have made stuff that was reasonably decent

stephec

Legendary Member
Yes, still a decent starter telescope. A word of warning though that as it is a Newtonian reflector the mirrors will need occasional collimation. This isn't overly difficult and there are lots of guides on YouTube etc, but is something to be aware of.
Assuming that I learn to adjust it correctly, will it give me a better image than the 80AZ refractor?

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Assuming that I learn to adjust it correctly, will it give me a better image than the 80AZ refractor?
I would be wary as it is another Bird-Jones design - the 1000mm focal length in a 609mm long tube is a giveaway. A telescope's focal length if a refractor or Newtonian reflector should more or less match its physical length. In a Bird-Jones design of Newtonian, the focal length is extended by the addition of a corrector lens which unfortunately denigrates the quality of the image and makes collimation much harder.

It might be ok for a casual look at the moon or larger planets, but I fear it would soon become a source of frustration rather than pleasure.

stephec

Legendary Member
As John Lewis are still out of stock I've taken to trawling Facebook marketplace, and I assume that Tasco are a budget brand?

This thing has popped up as well but I can't find any info online, has anyone seen them before?

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
6" diameter, 750mm Focal length reflecting scope on a cheap-ish equatorial mount.

If it works, then £40 would seem like a very reasonable price - but only if it is in working condition. At a guess it would be around £200+ new.

stephec

Legendary Member
6" diameter, 750mm Focal length reflecting scope on a cheap-ish equatorial mount.

If it works, then £40 would seem like a very reasonable price - but only if it is in working condition. At a guess it would be around £200+ new.
That's the problem, I wouldn't know what to look for.

And how would you check a second hand telescope in daylight?

Top Bottom