Oops I've just bought a Telescope!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I am not sure any simple way, other than looking through it at night.
That's what I thought, but not really having a clue it could end up being a bit of a waste.

stephec

Legendary Member
Stepping down in budget, as the John Lewis vouchers are still burning a hole in my pocket, for occasional use does this look like it will deliver on the description?

https://www.johnlewis.com/celestron...escope-moon-by-robert-reeves-edition/p5061187

Tenkaykev

Guru
A friend who lives in the Alicante region has a telescope in his garden. It’s out in the sticks and benefits from little or no light or air pollution. When visiting I’ve spent many a pleasant evening stargazing and drinking wine. Of course it’s nice and warm too so no need for woolly hats and gloves.
I recently read an article about a company that had built a telescope with software that you could use on your phone. The idea was that you plonked it outside and used your phone to tell it what to look at. The telescope then pointed itself at the target and used image stacking to resolve a much more detailed view which was then displayed on your phone/ tablet.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
with the naked eye to line it up,
You'll be able to find where the planets are with an app such as Stellarium and see them with the naked eye, and the telescope has a rudimentary pointing device that is explained in the video rather than the more common red dot or finderscope.

(As an aside, Saturn isn't well placed for observing at the moment. Stellarium will help with what is available to view.)

stephec

Legendary Member
Stepping down in budget, as the John Lewis vouchers are still burning a hole in my pocket, for occasional use does this look like it will deliver on the description?

https://www.johnlewis.com/celestron...escope-moon-by-robert-reeves-edition/p5061187

View attachment 579425
This has arrived this afternoon, and at the moment it looks like almost total cloud cover over our house. 😂

stephec

Legendary Member
Plenty of cloud again here, and then the moon pops out with a kind of misty glow round the edges.

It took a fair bit of fiddling to get it in focus and I was a little underwhelmed, what would I gain by sending that little one back and spending £200?

Rocky

Hello decadence
Plenty of cloud again here, and then the moon pops out with a kind of misty glow round the edges.

It took a fair bit of fiddling to get it in focus and I was a little underwhelmed, what would I gain by sending that little one back and spending £200?
It might be your monocle steaming up in the excitement, Steph.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Seriously though, I’d wait until you get sight of Saturn, Jupiter or Mars - see what they are like before deciding whether to trade up.

(I’m not even sure what’s in the skies at the mo.......goes away to look)

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady

Depends really what you're underwhelmed with...

There are a couple of things.

Are you acclimatising the scope? it needs to be outside for a good 20-30 mins so the mirrors can adjust to the temps.
Is the mount/surface your putting the scope on stable?
What eyepieces are you using?

Top Bottom