Oops I've just bought a Telescope!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Thread resurrection time, I'm after some advice please?

Of the two at £180 in the link below, which is my better option?

https://www.johnlewis.com/browse/electricals/telescopes/_/N-ajw

Out of those two, the best for Moon and planets would be the LT 80AZ as it has a longer focal length so will give a higher magnification.

High magnification isn't essential for objects like galaxies and nebulae - a lower magnification can be better - but it is good on the Moon and planets.

You will be blown away by the views of the Moon, but bear in mind that the planets are small and far away, so will look pretty small in most telescopes - think pea held at arms length rather that golf ball. Still amazing though, and you will be able to see Saturn's rings and that belts and moons of Jupiter with that scope.

Enjoy, and let us know how you get on.

OP
OP
simon the viking
as O.P The telescope is 2 feet away from me... it still gets used but not as much I'd like... Cant be ar**d sitting around in the cold and in summer the by the time its dark enough... I'm about ready for bed! I will make more effort. Since I bought in the sales last January, the Jessops branch in Derby I bought it from has closed unfortunately.

Bought one and soon got bored of it - firstly you need to learn to use it, get a dark spot and aim it properly and then you find that they are great for looking at the moon(s) but everything else is not very exciting. The cold soon has you heading indoors.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
I'm wondering if I'll get bored with it, but you don't know if you don't try. 😊
Another option is to get a really good pair of binoculars. It's amazing how much you can see in the skies with binoculars - there are some good books available to help and it's a great way to learn the skies and see whether you enjoy being outside in the dark and (usually) cold. Only downside is they don't give enough magnification for planetary observing.

stephec

Legendary Member
Another option is to get a really good pair of binoculars. It's amazing how much you can see in the skies with binoculars - there are some good books available to help and it's a great way to learn the skies and see whether you enjoy being outside in the dark and (usually) cold. Only downside is they don't give enough magnification for planetary observing.
A few things that I've read mention that as well, but I'd really like to try and see Uranus (snigger). 😂

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Seems John Lewis are out of stock on all telescopes, so I'll have to be patient.

As an alternative to the two that I mentioned previously, how does this one compare for £20 more?

https://www.johnlewis.com/celestron-starsense-explorer-lt-114az-reflector-telescope/p5061217

Yes, still a decent starter telescope. A word of warning though that as it is a Newtonian reflector the mirrors will need occasional collimation. This isn't overly difficult and there are lots of guides on YouTube etc, but is something to be aware of.

Top Bottom