Open Pro "concave" rims?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
Starting from the beginning, three years ago I had a new built of wheels built with 32h Ultegra hubs, DB spokes and Open Pro Ceramic rims.

At first I was chuffed to conkers with them, but after discovering that the stopping power in the wet was next to useless, (long story) After 12 months trying to get the poor wet weather braking resolved I finally gave up and I had the ceramic rims replaced with the normal Open Pro ones.

But now the rims have started to wear, and wear really, really badly, not in the overall thickness, although of course this will be affected, and the rear rim especially as you would expect.

Putting a straight edge across the braking surface there is roughly a 1mm bow in the rear rim, on both sides? If I were to give a estimated mileage, I would say only around the 15k figure?

Any ideas why they should be wearing in this way??

Its also fair to add, that I regularly remove the brake blocks and de swarf them, and I also regularly sand them on a sandpaper on a flat surface. The rims are always washed after a dirty ride as well, and any excess crap removed from the blocks.

I have had rims wear down in the past but the wear has been uniform across the braking surface and I have certainly never ever seen anything like this before??

So here's my problem, to re lace the wheels with new Open Pro rims is going to cost me in the region of £160. That's £80 for two new rims, then the rest on spokes and nipples. But no cost to build them as I have a very good friend who is a demon wheel builder.

The other option is to buy another pair complete from Parker's (for example) at £239 delivered to the door. But they only list the CD version and given my experience with the ceramic ones, I am now very nervy to stray away from what I know works.

It has also been suggested that I should maybe look at the Ambrosio Excellight rims instead of the Open Pro rims? I am being told that the braking surface is thicker on them than it is on the Mavics?

I have also looked at the Easton EA50/EA70 wheels, but I don't really want to go down the factory built wheel for my daily ride to work wheels as I need the security of the extra spokes. Plus, I already have a pair of Kysruim Elites, Kysrium SL's and Kysrium ES's. :smile:

So.....any thoughts or words of wisdom please?

Don't know why but i've had two open pro rims wear like this and both have ended up splitting (whilst climbing). Won't be using them again.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Dave Davenport said:
Don't know why but i've had two open pro rims wear like this and both have ended up splitting (whilst climbing). Won't be using them again.

That's interesting, how old/how many miles had they done?

What rims are you using now?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
15k miles seems OK to me - I've had rims wear out in 5-6k miles before.
When the rim wall gets thin enough, the tyre pressure starts to bend the sidewall, which will either allow the tyre to pop off or just split.
You can check by pumping up to 160psi or so and leaving it overnight to see if it fails or gets worse. If it does fail, you'll need a new inner tube. Also, wear ear plugs in case it fails whilst you are pumping.

If you've friend who's a wheelbuilder you just need the rims. Re-using the spokes and nipples is fine so long as you haven't been having problems with broken spokes. Tape the new rim to the old one, and move the spokes across one side at a time.
This does usually mean you need the same model of rim, otherwise the spokes will be the wrong length (unless you can find a different rim with the same effective rim diameter).

Mavic CD rims are hard anodised, not ceramic. They are a similar dark brown colour, but the braking surface will be machined.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
MacB said:
is it a no no to re-use spokes and nipples when rebuilding?

No, but they have been used twice now already, the first time with the ceramic rims, then again when the normal rims were fitted.

In all honestly I don't know if they would be ok to use a third time? If they are then its a much cheaper 'do able' option.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I re-use spokes all the time. As long as the wheel tensions properly, its no real issue.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Steve Austin said:
I re-use spokes all the time. As long as the wheel tensions properly, its no real issue.

Well that's an option that I need to speak to my friend about, hopefully yes and it will make the replacement quite a lot cheaper.

In the mean time I have ordered another set today and I have gone for the CD version rims this time. If the old ones fail and the weather is like it is, it will mean riding to work and weekend training on my best wheels, which is criminal really. :biggrin: And not helped by the fact that my friend has just had minor surgery to his left hand and he will not be able to rebuild them for at least another three weeks while his hand heals, maybe more?

You can never have enough "spare" wheels though can you. :biggrin:

Plus and being a anorak type, I have gone back into my diaries this evening and worked out the actual mileage on these rims. :wacko:

My guess at 15K was a country mile out, as they have only done 8480 miles.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
I have just tried taking a picture, but proved easier said than done. :biggrin:

This shows the concave, but not as bad as it actually is. :wacko:

dsc04656resized.jpg

andrew_s

Legendary Member
AlanW said:
In all honestly I don't know if they would be ok to use a third time? If they are then its a much cheaper 'do able' option.
My dynohub wheel is currently on it's 5th rim with the same set of spokes.
It will get new spokes next time as it's due to go off to Schmidt to be serviced, and I'd probably use a different rim anyway as new rims in 613mm spoke seat diameter aren't easy to find these days.

Wocce Racer

I have had two pairs of wheels that I have built on Open Pro rims back this year, one less than one year old where the rim did blow out. I find Ambrosio make superior rims now, especially there Excellence rim. It has a very good breaking surface.

Top Bottom