Open to Offas Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I notice that you haven't given a price :smile: for the tickets - probably £££s , but I look forward to seeing Dell & SRW on my doorstep. I'll put the prosecco on to chill.

Well done Al !; TC makes a sardonic comment :smile::smile::smile: and lo ! you prove that Trefonen is within the boundaries of civilisation . . . . . . . we actually have a train service :eek: . Even if it is to Gobowen . . . which is about 5 miles away. :smile: I believe that a direct Underground link to Trefonen, is due to be completed within the next 120 years.

That remains to be seen, Pubbers! Although I admit 3hrs and 20 mins is not too shabby. DZ will be leading the Superspeedy to Harwich, as you would know if you weren't living in a field in the middle of nowhere :smile:.

What route would you recommend from Shrewsbury? I wouldn't mind avoiding any really stupid hills, as there are probably enough of those on the ride anyway.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Apologies Andy, I'm a probable late withdrawal from this. I say probable because I'm still trying to juggle some options but it's holiday season and various dates for things everyone was planning to do have changed. I've not even managed to get out on the bike or for a run the last few weeks. Better than being idle I suppose.

That's a shame, Tim. As for not getting out on the bike for a while, I'm not sure a rest for the legs isn't a bad strategy before this ride. The hills around Knighton and Presteigne are pretty much finishing me off this week already, and all I've really done is go to the pub and the shops...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
That's a shame, Tim. As for not getting out on the bike for a while, I'm not sure a rest for the legs isn't a bad strategy before this ride. The hills around Knighton and Presteigne are pretty much finishing me off this week already, and all I've really done is go to the pub and the shops...

...and all I've really done is go to the pub and the off-licence...
Just corrected your typo TC:thumbsup:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
...and all I've really done is go to the pub and the off-licence...
Just corrected your typo TC:thumbsup:

Well I don't need a lot else - I have eggs from the hens, veg in the garden, and venison and sausages in the freezer. But it's rubbish for offies round here, and none of the boozers open until 6pm, like back in your day. Luckily there's usually a farm around selling flagons of cider...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Sounds like a rural idyll Lidl...
IMG_0115.jpg

p.s. I've used that one before.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
What route would you recommend from Shrewsbury? I wouldn't mind avoiding any really stupid hills, as there are probably enough of those on the ride anyway.

Getting out of Shrewsbury is a pain - even NCR 81 (an otherwise glorious route) is unpleasant for the first 2 or 3 miles out of Shrewsbury. If I needed to do it I'd take NCR 81 from Shrewsbury through Montford Bridge, stay with it until Pentre and then head NW to Maesbury. At Maesbury I'd go to the cafe and wait until Pubbers et al arrived. (That way you wouldn't encounter any hills at all and you'd save yourself a 6 mile climb!)

A better option (IMO) is to hop on a train from Shrewsbury to Gobowen, (£6.50 - hourly service 40 or 42 mins past the hour, no reservations needed for cycles - just smile at the guard) take the 19 minute trip to Gobowen and ride up to the start from there.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Getting out of Shrewsbury is a pain - even NCR 81 (an otherwise glorious route) is unpleasant for the first 2 or 3 miles out of Shrewsbury. If I needed to do it I'd take NCR 81 from Shrewsbury through Montford Bridge, stay with it until Pentre and then head NW to Maesbury. At Maesbury I'd go to the cafe and wait until Pubbers et al arrived. (That way you wouldn't encounter any hills at all and you'd save yourself a 6 mile climb!)

A better option (IMO) is to hop on a train from Shrewsbury to Gobowen, (£6.50 - hourly service 40 or 42 mins past the hour, no reservations needed for cycles - just smile at the guard) take the 19 minute trip to Gobowen and ride up to the start from there.

Thanks Al. The timing of the train connections is nonsense though. In the time I'd be waiting for the Gobowen train, I could be almost there. I don't generally like bike paths and I'm happy riding on anything short of a motorway. Montford Bridge to Pentre looks wiggly - is there anything reason I can't take the A5 and the B4396 to save a bit of time? Cafe plan sounds like a winner though. There are only so many six-mile climbs one needs in a day...

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
What route would you recommend from Shrewsbury?

There are a couple of options available; but I need to know what time the train arrives in Shrewsbury.

I wouldn't mind avoiding any really stupid hills, as there are probably enough of those on the ride anyway.

There are few hills between here and Shrewsbury

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
. . . . . . is there anything reason I can't take the A5 and the B4396 to save a bit of time? Cafe plan sounds like a winner though.

I'm catching up on the postings now; I was just about to suggest the same as Al. However, if you do the A5 and then the B4396, you could easily meet us at the cafe.

. . . . . . There are only so many six-mile climbs one needs in a day...

Six mile climb ? Al's jesting . .

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Eight twenty-something. There seems to be at least one a fortnight :smile:.

If it's as early as that, it would be easiest, if I picked you up from Shrewsbury Station; that way, we could be back at my place for 9am and I'd be back home in time to meet any early arrivals ( & you could have a nice brekkie). As an additional bonus, you wouldn't get to miss out on Al's infamous 6 mile climb :smile: .

(If you really want to cycle to the cafe, you'd probably have to wait at least an hour before the group would turn up).

theclaud

Openly Marxist
If it's as early as that, it would be easiest, if I picked you up from Shrewsbury Station; that way, we could be back at my place for 9am and I'd be back home in time to meet any early arrivals ( & you could have a nice brekkie). As an additional bonus, you wouldn't get to miss out on Al's infamous 6 mile climb :smile: .

(If you really want to cycle to the cafe, you'd probably have to wait at least an hour before the group would turn up).

I know this comes as a shock on this forum, but I actually quite like cycling ;). No need to drive anywhere, Pubbers, but thank you for the kind offer. If I'm wildly early at the Cafe I'll press on to Trefonen. I won't need another breakfast if we're going to have a cake stop first off - I'm eating massive breakfasts every day here to keep up with the hens...

Top Bottom