Open water swim training first attempt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pottsy

I can recommend reading Total Immersion to work on your technique.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Immersion

Well did my open water swim. Water was 14c. Dont know how ducks cope but my feet were absolutely freezing :cold:
I used a free hire wetsuit which didnt fit so well so had a lot of water coming in from my arms and madethe swim that little bit chillier than it should have been. But I thoroughly enjoyed, Im glad I did it because I was not as panicked as I thought I would be. Felt really breathless I suppose that's because I was wasting so much energy trying to keep warm and as a result my breathing was all over the place and could not do bi lateral breathing for too long.
I cant wait to get back in and I suspect as soon as I get my wetsuit - Huub here I come lol - then I will love it even more :smile:

OP
OP
D

david1701

good on ya, I found mine very constricting (which is odd seeing as when I bought it I wore jeans 2 sizes bigger) but I think thats just because I was being slow and needed to blame something.....

And my arms/shoulders are killing today :ohmy:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Swim last weekend was shortened to 400m because of the water temperature - I think I was the only one thinking 'this is quite pleasant' when I got into the water...my Dec/Jan acclimatisation swims certainly paid off :biggrin: Although a shorter swim left me with too much energy coming out of the water and went off waaaay too fast on the bike! Ah well, live and learn...
Where do you swim OW?(freshwater?) saltwater?) I've looked around and somewhat organised venues are rare.

I'm in Larne if that effects any answer :smile:

ps:congrats on first OW swims :smile:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I've been lake swimming several times over the last couple of months. Seems the tri clubs etc are bound by their insurance or the venues insurance as to what is an acceptable temperature.
I got to thinking about a few years ago, when I did kayaking, I'd be in rivers and the North Sea 12 months of the year.
I did a bit of searching through Facebook, starting with the Outdoor Swimming Society. Follow a few peoples profiles and you can eventually find groups or events (It's kind of like the 6 degrees of separation thing?)
I eventually found a group called the 'Dove Dippers'. Luckily one of their venues is on my doorstep. It's not an official 'club' just a group of people into swimming outdoors. No joining fees, no session fees. Just turn up and swim at your own risk, but not on your own.
Theres a wide range, from newbies to those training for channel swims. Some don't bother with wetsuits, they're acclimatised for year round swimming.
Another difference for me is, the tri clubs tend to have very structured training sessions? These is more 'up to you'. You can get in and swim 800m, ideally in a straight line.
My 'local' temp was 13C on wednesday, prior to that its been 10/11 for the last month or two.
Nice to swim regularly and get used to how your wetsuit actually fits etc.

OP
OP
D

david1701

Ok now I feel pretty dam lucky I had a pretty big sea pool with lifeguards 3miles from my door, and if I want more distance the Atlantic is right next to it......

VamP

Banned
Second OW swim today. Starting to make some sense out of it, and feel a whole lot better than my first rather bewildering foray into the cold and the murk. Good quality and long warm-up seems to be the key... Water at 14.5 degrees, which felt balmy compared to the 13 we had on Saturday.

Anyone else on here finding their water feet?

fimm

Veteran
The rules about water temperature and race distance come from the British Triathlon Federation.
I had my first go in open water this year last week. Apparently it was 8 degrees... to start with I thought I was not going to be able to stay in as my feet hurt so much with the cold... after a bit I stopped feeling them and then had to go through the same process with my hands... once I started swimming it was kind of OK, but I just went round the fairly small loop of buoy once, thus proving to myself that I can still swim in a wetsuit and sight, and got out. It is the getting out and getting changed afterwards I really struggle with, I seem to start suffering with the cold really quickly. This was one reason I didn't want to stay in too long.

VamP

Banned
The rules about water temperature and race distance come from the British Triathlon Federation.
I had my first go in open water this year last week. Apparently it was 8 degrees... to start with I thought I was not going to be able to stay in as my feet hurt so much with the cold... after a bit I stopped feeling them and then had to go through the same process with my hands... once I started swimming it was kind of OK, but I just went round the fairly small loop of buoy once, thus proving to myself that I can still swim in a wetsuit and sight, and got out. It is the getting out and getting changed afterwards I really struggle with, I seem to start suffering with the cold really quickly. This was one reason I didn't want to stay in too long.

8 degrees!!!!! Brrrrrr.

Mrbez

I had my first open water swim in a wetsuit today. I did it at Bray Lake, and the temperature was 20 degrees this morning in the water!

I've been practicing in the pool for the swim, and I did have to switch the breast stroke a few times on the first 750 metres.

However, once I had finished, I went back for another 500 metres, and completed this much easier.

I think I was panicking with my breathing a little on the first lap, and probably should have done a few hundred metres before I went straight in for the 750m.

This is also the first time that I swam that distance non stop. I've only been doing 750m in the pool, but stopping every 6/8 lengths for a breather.

007fair

I had my first OW swim on friday night It was beautiful weather and the water lovely and warm! The first 100m I felt a but breathless and the wet suit seemed tight across the chest .. but I relaxed a bit and maybe slowed and it came together nicely. The only weird bit was just before getting in a rat ran across the path and into some rocks near the water. This would have put some off so i didn't mention it!

Other than that I can't wait to go swimming at Loch Lommond for a longer session

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Feeling breathless is quite common, sometimes the cold does it and sometimes if you push yourself you can feel the wet suit restricting you. Like an asthma attack. In a race when it gets a bit choppy sometimes you get a lung full of water or a bit of a ducking. Just slow down, sort youself out and then off you go again, you are in control of the situation, so take it.
Switching stroke, easing off and rolling on to your back are all good coping measures so you can get your breath back, focus on your direction and pick it up again. It's just hard to remember this when you are starting to feel distress.
I'd suggest putting yourself in that situation so you know you can recover, say go flat out so you are breathless, ease off, rollover and then start off again so it becomes a bit more instinctive. A choppy sea swim or a good swell is good practice too it's confidence building.
HTH

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I'd love to try it, but with my stoma bag I'd be paranoid that it came off and covered the inside on the wetsuit with s**t!

Does anyone have any experience of swimming with one??

Top Bottom