Opinions on bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ruffers

Veteran
1577642565548.png

1577642587990.png

hi
I’m a beginner level cyclist and am looking to buy one of the above. Pinnacle £250 new, Specialized is £150 secondhand.
I like them both just want to know if anyone has one of them? Rode them? Best value for money etc.
I usually ride about 30 miles a week so nothing amazing probably outings once or twice a week.
Thanks in advance
Alec

vickster

Legendary Member
What's the spec on both? The Allez looks a rather old model, what's the condition like?

Go try them out for yourself, it's v easy to testride at Evans and any serious seller will be happy for you to try a bike out (maybe if you leave something valuable behind)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Allez are stolen lots. Check the frame number on stolen-bikes.co.uk and anywhere else you can think. Ask for copies of purchase paperwork. Genuine sellers shouldn't mind the question, even if they have lost it. Mentally add a gold spec D lock to the cost.

Probably not much to choose between them as Evans continue under Sports Dreck ownership which will devalue any warranty IMO. You may still prefer to have it, though.

DSK

No experience with Pinnacle but quite possibly a fair deal for a new bike.

That specialized looks like its tired and will probably cost a few quid to get it they way you may want.

In my book there's no good reason for quality used bikes to be in an untidy state despite use. In addition, bikes that are used as hacks or commuters and carelessly thrown around, nuts and bolts left to rust are never worth it when there are many half decent bikes to be had for a couple of hundred upwards that have seen little use or been looked after. Look around the classifieds and you could easily take you pick of cleaner, decent used bikes for around £250 such as a Giant Defy, Trek Alpha/Domane, Specialized Allez.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
For the sake of £100 it's really not worth gambling on the second hand bike, buy new. The price difference may be eaten up by anything that needs replacing on the used one especially if you have to take it to a shop.
You'll get warranty plus peace of mind and help if anything goes wrong and you'll be able to choose your correct size.

vickster

Legendary Member
4.8% cashback if you order through Evans online using Quidco

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I will probably get a bashing for this...
I f you can increase your budget by £100 then decathlon bikes start at £349 for something a bit better but if this price bracket is your budget then halfords have the carrera zelos at £220 new, less 10 % if your a british cycling member brings it under £200 new, only difference i can see to the pinnacle is it has a steel fork, i ride bikes with steel. alloy and carbon forks and TBH cant tell much enough difference and the little weight you will save at this end of the market and quality of the carbon is not liable to make much difference

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...MIvL-P5ofd5gIVRrDtCh3CrARIEAQYASABEgLOFvD_BwE

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The Pinnacle's fine as a first road bike - my only concern is that the groupset is 7 speed which is a little more complicated for spares.

The Specialized is a well-known model, no issues there, but it depends on condition.
as far as 8 speed the shifters are the old thumbies , doesnt the new 8 speed claris have a different cable pull ( not sure ) ?

Top Bottom