Opinions on bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Here are some onions on a bike, if that helps...

bike_2410259b.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Often claimed, rarely demonstrated. A 7 freewheel means a non-serviceable ratchet is usually getting replaced every time the sprockets do, whereas you have to service the freehub and replace it separately every N times on a cassette wheel.

For most users, unless you do something silly like put the freewheel on ungreased threads and let it rust into place, there's not much to choose between them in practice, but cassettes are more modern and less wasteful so I think an 8 cassette is worth choosing over a 7 freewheel if all else is equal. It rarely is. I'd buy the one that felt best to ride.

The bigger problem with freewheels is the axle is less well supported so can snap.

Carrera seven speed MTBs are well known in the trade for snapped axles.

Possibly partly to do with them being used by young 'uns who give the bikes some stick.

But the weakness is part of the design.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I really enjoyed that bike. My son has now left Evans, so no longer get any discount☹
I've now got a similar bike from Boardman. The 650b tyres are great on potholes and gravel tracks

Evans didn't give that bike much of a chance, it was only introduced in late 2017.

I've no idea how models work, but it looks like they got one container load built in China, flogged 'em, and that was it.

So much for the 650b road bike 'revolution'.

Made sense to me.

I like plenty of sidewall and width on a tyre, but on 700c that can result in a cartwheel look, particularly on a medium or small frame.

Top Bottom