Opinions on bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

Personally I don't think much of the Specialized with regards to its condition that you posted. Therefore nothing wrong with the Pinnacle as its new and will have a warranty/come back should anything go wrong. Also consider the Decathlon option as well as the Evans one.

I will say though, have a quick final look on ebay/gumtree/facebook for anything advertised that looks like it may fit the bill. You may get lucky on a basic but reasonable spec Cannondale/Trek/Specialized/Giant in decent shape.

OP
OP
ruffers

ruffers

Veteran
Personally I don't think much of the Specialized with regards to its condition that you posted. Therefore nothing wrong with the Pinnacle as its new and will have a warranty/come back should anything go wrong. Also consider the Decathlon option as well as the Evans one.

I will say though, have a quick final look on ebay/gumtree/facebook for anything advertised that looks like it may fit the bill. You may get lucky on a basic but reasonable spec Cannondale/Trek/Specialized/Giant in decent shape.
Thanks for the advice, I had a trip to decathlon today, little bit more than I budgeted for but the triban RC 120 looked brilliant

DSK

Good on you for taking members advise and trekking down to Decathlon (and investigating the other options) to enable to yourself to make an informed decision.

Happy bike shopping and be sure to update us on what you buy.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Pinnacle bike, being seven speed at the back, will almost certainly have a screw on freewheel for the gears.

Any eight speed or above bike will use a cassette/freehub, which is a more durable solution.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Could do but I think I’m swaying for the pinnacle

I have a Pinnacle. (Pyrolite2)
Got to say they are surprisingly good, well made bikes. Did a good few years hard commuting on it and have taken it up and down mountains in Spain and France. It's now been consigned to being a emergency spare, but they are highly recommended by me for what it's worth.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have a Pinnacle. (Pyrolite2)
Got to say they are surprisingly good, well made bikes. Did a good few years hard commuting on it and have taken it up and down mountains in Spain and France. It's now been consigned to being a emergency spare, but they are highly recommended by me for what it's worth.

Isn't that the 650b adventure/gravel bike?

Looks like they no longer make it, which is a pity because it looked like a good design to me.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle_b/bikes-category?sort=-price_inc_vat&page=0

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Isn't that the 650b adventure/gravel bike?

Looks like they no longer make it, which is a pity because it looked like a good design to me.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle_b/bikes-category?sort=-price_inc_vat&page=0

Nope. Disc braked roadie

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I was thinking of one of these although roadie bikes are not my thing, as you know.

Maybe they used the Pyrolite name on different types of bike.

This one was released relatively recently in 2017.

https://www.evanscycles.com/coffeestop/news/pinnacle-pyrolite-leading-the-650b-road-revolution

Mine is a 2014
full?d=1427902415.jpg

Interesting that link.
@Trickedem tested that bike for a while.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Out of that lot, I'd go for the Carrera, as it has a steel fork. I don't regard having carbon bits as a selling point, and there's no way I'd buy anything with a carbon fork.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The Pinnacle bike, being seven speed at the back, will almost certainly have a screw on freewheel for the gears.

Any eight speed or above bike will use a cassette/freehub, which is a more durable solution.
Often claimed, rarely demonstrated. A 7 freewheel means a non-serviceable ratchet is usually getting replaced every time the sprockets do, whereas you have to service the freehub and replace it separately every N times on a cassette wheel.

For most users, unless you do something silly like put the freewheel on ungreased threads and let it rust into place, there's not much to choose between them in practice, but cassettes are more modern and less wasteful so I think an 8 cassette is worth choosing over a 7 freewheel if all else is equal. It rarely is. I'd buy the one that felt best to ride.

Top Bottom