Opinions sought on the Bkool Smart Go please...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickAKA

Über Member
I've been researching the best "budget option" smart trainers with the ability to automatically control resistance as the wife will go loco if I spend £400 on a smart pro 2.

The smart go looks like a decent option at £255 (with included ANT+ stick) as I don't anticipate needing over the quoted 800W to do what I want to do, but there are so many conflicting reviews (same with all smart trainers, to be fair) concerning connectivity / hardware issues, I'm at the point where I may just look elsewhere or keep my powder dry until all the (industry wide) technical issues are ironed-out regarding connectivity.

Ideally, I'd like something I can run through an Ipad, without forking out a pile more money on a specific dongle & connector that isn't shipped with the trainer. This is where it gets massively confusing - at this moment in time I'd be happy using Bkool's app (rather than, say, zwift) but it looks (to me) like it's really best run on a PC - is that right? I don't fancy moving my desktop into my "pain cave" (or the conservatory, as it is also known) and don't really want to buy a laptop purely for this purpose, so that's the impasse I'm at.

I could always just be approaching this in the wrong way; should my primary concern be getting some new hardware then worry about the trainer? That seems to be putting the cart before the horse to me, and things SHOULD be much simpler, but I'm getting sick of coming to a purchase decision only to read something else that makes me change my mind... Honestly, it's got so frustrating that I was considering a tacx vortex from decathlon just so I could return it in the event that I couldn't get it to work properly - Please help!

TL;DR - does the Bkool Smart Go connect to an ipad (and work properly) without having to lash out on some extra connection hardware?

TIA

BurningLegs

Veteran
Are you already using Bkool with a different trainer? If so, what's wrong with your existing setup? If not, why/how did you decide that you would only use Bkool and not an alternative?

OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
Are you already using Bkool with a different trainer? If so, what's wrong with your existing setup? If not, why/how did you decide that you would only use Bkool and not an alternative?

I'm currently using a 'dumb' elite crono fluid with speed & cadence sensors on the bike and a HRM to track my training which is fine for that purpose, but I want to upgrade to a smart trainer with variable resistance & have a go at virtual riding during the winter... I'm not dead set on Bkool as such - I'm seriously considering the elite qubo smart it's just that they give you 3 months free subscription with the purchase and I'm trying not to spend too much!

Thanks for the reply and any advice!

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Hmmm, difficult to make a recommendation really.

One thing to consider is the quoted power, which is not really a level playing field. most manufacturers claim 'UP TO' x watts. In reality if you are 50Kg then you may well get what they are claiming, if you are 120Kg then it's not likely, even though "Watts are Watts". IRL this means the simulated gradients you experience are not as steep as they should be. That theoretical 50Kg rider may well hit 15% with a quoted 2000w trainer, but your 120Kg rider will only hit 6% with the same trainer. ... I'm reckoning 30% difference between my Smart Pro and Real Life

Then there are the well documented power fluctuations with the Smart Pro, and as it doesn't contain a power meter, can the results be believed? Is the cheaper Smart go going to contain better electronics / control circuitry?

Having said all that, I love my Smart Pro, I make sure I reset it each ride, I'm not comparing my performance with anyone else, I don't have to prove my RL performance figures. I take the chaingang 'races' as a bit of fun, with a pinch of salt, so who cares if the power readings from it are not accurate/reproducible. It's a personal training tool, and I use it as such.

OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
Hmmm, difficult to make a recommendation really.

One thing to consider is the quoted power, which is not really a level playing field. most manufacturers claim 'UP TO' x watts. In reality if you are 50Kg then you may well get what they are claiming, if you are 120Kg then it's not likely, even though "Watts are Watts". IRL this means the simulated gradients you experience are not as steep as they should be. That theoretical 50Kg rider may well hit 15% with a quoted 2000w trainer, but your 120Kg rider will only hit 6% with the same trainer. ... I'm reckoning 30% difference between my Smart Pro and Real Life

Then there are the well documented power fluctuations with the Smart Pro, and as it doesn't contain a power meter, can the results be believed? Is the cheaper Smart go going to contain better electronics / control circuitry?

Having said all that, I love my Smart Pro, I make sure I reset it each ride, I'm not comparing my performance with anyone else, I don't have to prove my RL performance figures. I take the chaingang 'races' as a bit of fun, with a pinch of salt, so who cares if the power readings from it are not accurate/reproducible. It's a personal training tool, and I use it as such.

Thanks for replying, I'm also looking at it purely as a method of injecting some 'fun' into the indoor training really - I tend to base any half-serious training on my heart rate because I don't have a power meter and I've shed most of my excess weight now anyway, so I'm happy to go with the vagaries of the quoted power from algorithms as it's not at all serious... like yourself (reading between the lines, apologies if I'm wrong!), I'm not looking to impress anyone on (what is, essentially) another social media platform... leave that to the younger & fitter riders :-)
As it stands simulating 800 watts is plenty for me I reckon, I generally ride at 80-85 cadence and keep my heart rate at around 140 with the occasional higher cadence burst for a minute or two, and the steepest climbs I tackle regularly IRL are 10% max. If that changes another upgrade will be required, but if I get to the point where that's necessary, I'll be delighted to spend the money!

rockpig

Über Member
I have a Bkool Smart Go and it does work with an iPad as long as you’re happy to run the Bkool simulator software and don’t want to use Zwift. I used it a lot last winter and found it pretty good but I don’t have anything to compare it with. I bought it on a Black Friday deal as it included a year subscription to the app. I think the only time I needed a laptop was to update the firmware, not sure if the latest app allows firmware updates from an iPad, that might a good question for their support team.

OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
I have a Bkool Smart Go and it does work with an iPad as long as you’re happy to run the Bkool simulator software and don’t want to use Zwift. I used it a lot last winter and found it pretty good but I don’t have anything to compare it with. I bought it on a Black Friday deal as it included a year subscription to the app. I think the only time I needed a laptop was to update the firmware, not sure if the latest app allows firmware updates from an iPad, that might a good question for their support team.

That's great info, many thanks!

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I don't have a power meter and I've shed most of my excess weight now anyway, so I'm happy to go with the vagaries of the quoted power from algorithms as it's not at all serious... like yourself (reading between the lines, apologies if I'm wrong!), I'm not looking to impress anyone on (what is, essentially) another social media platform... leave that to the younger & fitter riders :-)
I'm not comparing my performance with anyone else, I don't have to prove my RL performance figures. I take the chaingang 'races' as a bit of fun, with a pinch of salt, so who cares if the power readings from it are not accurate/reproducible. It's a personal training tool, and I use it as such.

Come on guys, wash your mouths out, this is serious stuff!!! Online racing is the be all and end all, don't ya know :whistle: ha ha

Thankfully riding on Bkool you're in the right place. We like to race hard, but win or lose we do it for fun. Pootle at the back, or bust your lungs at the front, all are welcome.

Best not go on Zwift though with that attitude .... they take it far too seriously, so much so that they are starting to ban riders in certain races and they have what they call 'ZADA' (Zwift Anti Doping Agency) - i kid you not :tongue:

CXRAndy

Guru
Banning, only those with off the planet performance. There are some in the A category who are serious because Zwift has Professional cyclists using it. Any rider can manipulate the system to appear better than they're. But who are they ultimately misleading, only themselves is suspect. Those riders I know directly with top-end trainers are pretty much assured what power they produce is calibrated. Paul for eg I know is very strong on a Bkool but also I know is immensely strong in real life, others too.

OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
Come on guys, wash your mouths out, this is serious stuff!!! Online racing is the be all and end all, don't ya know :whistle: ha ha

Thankfully riding on Bkool you're in the right place. We like to race hard, but win or lose we do it for fun. Pootle at the back, or bust your lungs at the front, all are welcome.

Best not go on Zwift though with that attitude .... they take it far too seriously, so much so that they are starting to ban riders in certain races and they have what they call 'ZADA' (Zwift Anti Doping Agency) - i kid you not :tongue:

I read about that but it's always the same. Social media platforms start out as a pleasant distraction to real life with good community spirit but the odd borderline sociopath will eventually suck the joy out of it for you!
I always ride alone so it'd be interesting to see if I can keep up with regular riders on a simulator but I'm not looking to earn chufty badges, I ride cos I like it and it's improving my health - here endeth the sermon :okay:

Top Bottom