Optima Rider Recumbent Trike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gorweddol

Regular
Hi All,
Searching for information about the Optima Recumbent Trike,
If anyone has information on the hydraulic braking system or fitting front wheels/ to a system with drum brakes.
Love to hear any feedback with reference to this trike.
I have a couple of issues that I hope some one out there might be able to help with.
Cheers

Attachments

• F20E6CD4-035D-4F38-849B-16D8DD2BBF5B.jpeg
    F20E6CD4-035D-4F38-849B-16D8DD2BBF5B.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 83
Seen that photo before somewhere , is this the missing spacer problem ?

regards emma

Hi All,
Searching for information about the Optima Recumbent Trike,
If anyone has information on the hydraulic braking system or fitting front wheels/ to a system with drum brakes.
Love to hear any feedback with reference to this trike.
I have a couple of issues that I hope some one out there might be able to help with.
Cheers
On my ice recumbent the spacer is stepped (taper) so it locates onto back backplate,on picture cant see if your spacer is the same.

OP
OP
Gorweddol

Gorweddol

Regular
On my ice recumbent the spacer is stepped (taper) so it locates onto back backplate,on picture cant see if your spacer is the same.
Hi Neil. The spacer. I have is not tapered, so as far as I see it it’s not directional .I have tried the spacer either way round and swapped the spacers round ie from the other front wheel. The end result is the same.
Cheers

OP
OP
Gorweddol

Gorweddol

Regular
What's wrong with the front brakes?
I have hydraulic oil seeping from the slave cylinder. I was just wondering with the vast knowledge out there, if anyone had any details repairing, servicing Hydraulic brakes. In particular for the Optima Rider trike. A long shot but you never know.The problem will be getting parts so I am sure everyone is going to shout change to disc, or cable. Be nice to keep it as original as possible.
Cheers

Attachments

• Brake cylinder..JPG
    Brake cylinder..JPG
    91 KB · Views: 41

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Could you modify one of these:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-Blac...527649?hash=item5d91e2f0e1:g:prYAAOSw5yFayu~~
I know it "Pulls" rather than pushes like yours but it shouldn't make any difference with the SA brakes.

the S/A unit pulls a short cable ,
All slaves have different bores and strokes , probably easier to convert to cable , but it loses it's originality .

Fitting discs would become an expensive option as well.

Agree with C try and keep it original if the spares are available somewhere.

regards Emma

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Sorry if you've already done this but,
Have you tried contacting OPTIMA and asking them, they might have a refurb kit for the brake cylinder or tell you the maker's name so you can go direct.

If it’s hydraulic then I suspect it may be a Sachs rather than Sturmey hub. I don’t think SA made a hydraulic brake but I’m pretty sure Sachs did (they also did parts for mini mopeds so this would fit in with their product line). You might try tracking down someone with a Brox quad, they had hydraulic hub brakes.
I’m not sure of the intercompatibility of SA and Sachs hubs, if the axles are the same diameter switching to cable SA hubs might be the most sustainable option.

http://broxcompact.blogspot.com/?m=1

OP
OP
Gorweddol

Gorweddol

Regular
Sorry if you've already done this but,
Have you tried contacting OPTIMA and asking them, they might have a refurb kit for the brake cylinder or tell you the maker's name so you can go direct.
Hi ,yes I have been speaking with Optima. They have been helpful considering it’s an older model, but have not really found any solution.

OP
OP
Gorweddol

Gorweddol

Regular
If it’s hydraulic then I suspect it may be a Sachs rather than Sturmey hub. I don’t think SA made a hydraulic brake but I’m pretty sure Sachs did (they also did parts for mini mopeds so this would fit in with their product line). You might try tracking down someone with a Brox quad, they had hydraulic hub brakes.
I’m not sure of the intercompatibility of SA and Sachs hubs, if the axles are the same diameter switching to cable SA hubs might be the most sustainable option.

http://broxcompact.blogspot.com/?m=1
Thanks,
The hydraulic parts are Sachs as you say, not sure about the wheel hub though as that appears to have no identification marks on it. I am hopping to put a spacer inside the wheel hub and hope that cures that issue. Then it’s back to resolving the leak. I think I may have located a used cylinder but waiting to have that confirmed. It would be great to have two new ones fitted or least serviced with new seals. If not then as you say it may be a change to cables. I am hoping to keep it as original as I can , but frustration is gaining on me.

All avenues are worth a try .
Many thanks

Top Bottom