Orbea Avant going cheap - but is it too small

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
I have a chance to buy an Orbea Avant - Full Carbon - Ultegra Di2 (2017) Only has 40 odd miles on it. I'm 6ft, the frame is a tiny 53cm. The price is ridiculously cheap £500

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a chance to buy an Orbea Avant - Full Carbon - Ultegra Di2 (2017) Only has 40 odd miles on it. I'm 6ft, the frame is a tiny 53cm. The price is ridiculously cheap £500
Sounds suss and way too small for you to boot. Why would you consider spending £500 on something you can't ride unless you plan to strip for parts.

For any suitably sized similar bike, ask to see the receipt. If it can't be provided - any genuine seller selling such a bike would have the receipt to hand or be able to go back to the retailer to request a copy - run away.

vickster

Legendary Member
OK, thanks. Can I just clarify that the bike is not stolen.
Fair enough, you know the seller?

Might be worth buying for the parts I feel you have a suitable frame for transplant or the funds to get one

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Fair enough, you know the seller?

Might be worth buying for the parts I feel you have a suitable frame for transplant or the funds to get one
It's an interesting idea, full Ultegra di2 groupset and a frame to sell on.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
I've just checked on the Orbea Site which uses hight and inseam - They recommend size 51

vickster

Legendary Member
I've just checked on the Orbea Site which uses hight and inseam - They recommend size 51
For 6ft? What random bit of the bike do they use to measure?

What height is the seller? Can you test ride it?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I concur. 51? You must have got a measurement wrong there. I'm 5ft 10, my Litespeed (a ML) has 550mm top tube length, 515mm seat tube centre to top. A 51cm Avant? 470mm seat tube, 533mm top tube. No way that could suit you properly.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
For 6ft? What random bit of the bike do they use to measure?

What height is the seller? Can you test ride it?
God knows how they came up with 51cm but that's what the site says. The seller is 6.2 - I'm 6ft and half an inch. I'm going to ask for a test ride and I'll ask to see a receipt. From what he says, he took it for a couple of rides and decided to get a mountain bike instead. The bike has been at his workplace for the last year.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
God knows how they came up with 51cm but that's what the site says. The seller is 6.2 - I'm 6ft and half an inch. I'm going to ask for a test ride and I'll ask to see a receipt. From what he says, he took it for a couple of rides and decided to get a mountain bike instead. The bike has been at his workplace for the last year. (Hopefully with the di2 battery charged)
The cyclesurgery site says 55cm for a 6 footer, albeit that's the alu one although can't see the geometry being different

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
There seems to be a hitch in any case. I asked if he had kept the battery charged and found out that it DOESN'T have wireless shifting. I'm hunting down the model online which is proving tricky. Think I'll take a look though and see if it's pristine. He says it was bought from a UK Orbea dealer and fits him. I wonder if there will be any more surprises.

Top Bottom