Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Hi Storck - given your obvious good levels of strength and fitness I'm wondering why the Orbea Gain? OK, you can answer 'why not?', but being able to ride a relatively heavy bike above the cut off speed for long periods , why not just a conventional lightweight carbon road bike? Do you ride a conventional bike as well - a Storck maybe? Just wondering.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Hi Storck - given your obvious good levels of strength and fitness I'm wondering why the Orbea Gain? OK, you can answer 'why not?', but being able to ride a relatively heavy bike above the cut off speed for long periods , why not just a conventional lightweight carbon road bike? Do you ride a conventional bike as well - a Storck maybe? Just wondering.
:popcorn:

Storck

Yes, I do have a Storck (incredibly light) also Trek Domane (new) and Basso. I also have had a heart attack and kidney transplant. Both of these have left me half the rider I was. I can no longer do hours of continuous riding or much climbing. The Gain, is the ideal solution for me. I enjoy it so much? That come Autumn a D road version is getting ordered, that takes a full mudguard. BTW, I have my gain shod with the Mavic Carbon Wheels running on 25mm Hutchison Fusion 5.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Yes, I do have a Storck (incredibly light) also Trek Domane (new) and Basso. I also have had a heart attack and kidney transplant. Both of these have left me half the rider I was. I can no longer do hours of continuous riding or much climbing. The Gain, is the ideal solution for me. I enjoy it so much? That come Autumn a D road version is getting ordered, that takes a full mudguard. BTW, I have my gain shod with the Mavic Carbon Wheels running on 25mm Hutchison Fusion 5.
Hope you didn't mind me asking - the Gain sounds ideal for you. :okay:

Storck

Hope you didn't mind me asking - the Gain sounds ideal for you. :okay:

No, didn't mind at all, in fact gives me the opportunity to share my idea on maybe why I'm getting excellent mileage each charge? As I mentioned earlier, the Gain seems to like revs? Sweet spot is around (for me) 75/80rpm. Now while not a big gear masher, I have always rode with a low cadence (average 65) I've noticed on hills you get little assist climbing out of the saddle pushing a larger gear. Sit down, start spinning the assist kicks in noticeably, obviously using more juice. So are those magnets on the lock ring looking for higher revs to provide assist? Does my lower cadence style of riding inhibit the amount of assist provided? Just throwing out there my observations, I'm surprised at the amount of mileage it's giving me, considering my average speed over 320 mies is 14.8mph. Under the 15.6 cut off.

Last edited:

Zofo

Veteran
Interesting point regarding low cadence and battery life -could well explain things as I’ve always been a fairly fast spinner, 90rpm flats and 80 on climbs. Personally I would definitely avoid grinding away up climbs at 60rpm on a bike that weighs 13kg, not good on the knees at all.

Storck

Knees are still good, it's everything else about me that's shot. Don't know how you manage riding at 80rpm? I feel that I'm bouncing all over the bike. Got to be with all the racing I did? Back in the 60's BIG gears was the way to go. Wish I could spin a little more like you. BTW, climbing in n out the saddle, never felt like grinding away. Always felt natural. Going to do some different comparisons with lower and higher cadence over battery usage. Let you know what if any conclusions I draw? You know, still got my 60's Bob Jackson 531 racing bike. Only very slightly lighter than the Gain.

Scaleyback

Veteran
We have to appreciate that getting 120 miles out of one battery charge over 4 separate rides is probably not a good guide to battery performance over a single long ride ? You are resting between rides and therefore presumably asking 'less' of the battery when starting fresh and strong each ride ?

Taking this ride of mine (from an earlier post here)
Distance: 40.15 miles
Time: 2:33:16
Avg Speed: 15.7 mph
Elev Gain: 2,697 ft
49% of battery used

I could assume that I would get 80+ miles and 5,400ft (1645 meters) but I wouldn't of course because I would be knackered and the battery would be progressively taking more of the load.

Southernguns

Hi, sorry to jump in on this thread (first post), but I am thinking of getting either the D30 or M30 and I was wondering, based on you experiences, Scaleyback and Storck, whether you think the carbon frame is worth the extra over the alloy framed D30. I am a "young" 45 year old but have back issues that prevents me from putting maximum power through the pedals. I always struggle up hills because of this and find that on my Carbon Trek Emonde (8kg) I only average 15-16mph on flattish rides (far worse on hills so I avoid them!), hence why I am looking at an Orbea Gain. I do not ride in groups or clubs, only on my own or with a couple of friends. Fitness is not an issue - I am a runner and can run 41 minute 10ks and 1:34 half marathons, but cycling is proving problematic. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Scaleyback

Veteran
You have to be happy with those figures though Scaley? Pretty good giving their quoted expected returns.

Yes, I’m more than happy with the battery performance and in fact the Orbea Gain. I’m a pretty strong rider for my age, I’m not trying to boast I don’t want to
give the wrong impression about this bike. Many people who are looking to purchase a ‘pedal assisted bike’ will be looking for a more powerful motor than
this.

Storck

Yes, I do believe some folks will be disappointed with the Gain, unless they do their homework carefully before purchasing. Like you, it fulfils all my expectations in what I required. Which where fairly modest.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Short ride today, tried staying in the small ring, spinning - 12.69 km/14% battery used - pretty much as usual. Well over 1000 miles now and this has been consistent, approximately 8km per 10% of charge. Unlike you guys I've not got much leg strength anymore - which is why I bought the Gain, but it does what I need, and I'm very happy with it. It is one of the 2018 alloy ones, so maybe a bit heavier. I do find the UK 15.5 mph cut off annoying though as it is hard for me to keep up with the group over long distances above that speed on club rides. Gives me a good workout anyway!

Storck

Short ride today, tried staying in the small ring, spinning - 12.69 km/14% battery used - pretty much as usual. Well over 1000 miles now and this has been consistent, approximately 8km per 10% of charge. Unlike you guys I've not got much leg strength anymore - which is why I bought the Gain, but it does what I need, and I'm very happy with it. It is one of the 2018 alloy ones, so maybe a bit heavier. I do find the UK 15.5 mph cut off annoying though as it is hard for me to keep up with the group over long distances above that speed on club rides. Gives me a good workout anyway!

What assist level are you mostly using YB?

Top Bottom