Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Storck

Southern, sounds like you had a good day in a long time? You're HR band won't connect, because it's not a Bluetooth one, being Garmin it will work only on Ant+ devices. I have found altitude records greatly over, along with cadence (which you also need a BL sensor not Ant+) in order to record on the phone app. Wouldn't worry too much about battery usage? Sure it's gonna get less as you improve, however 1% for 1 mile riding the conditions you did today ain't bad. What a positive? You climbed a hill that normally would have defeated you, what a start. I'm sure riding the bike today for the first time,will have not been as settled as in the future. A few rides, fine tune your position, understand the bike and gearing better, then you're going to be more relaxed and smooth, resulting in using less energy, lower HR and a more pleasant cycling experience. Enjoy.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
- yes, battery usage sounds fine, 13miles/16% would indicate a possible range of over 80 miles. I'm doing well if I get 1km/1% (approx. 60 miles), BTW isn't the seatpost supplied with the bike a carbon SLK? What tyre pressures are you using? Being used to using 23mm and 25mm tyres I think I tend to over inflate the wider tyres I'm using on my Gain - 70psi front and 80 psi rear.

Southernguns

Southern, sounds like you had a good day in a long time? You're HR band won't connect, because it's not a Bluetooth one, being Garmin it will work only on Ant+ devices. I have found altitude records greatly over, along with cadence (which you also need a BL sensor not Ant+) in order to record on the phone app. Wouldn't worry too much about battery usage? Sure it's gonna get less as you improve, however 1% for 1 mile riding the conditions you did today ain't bad. What a positive? You climbed a hill that normally would have defeated you, what a start. I'm sure riding the bike today for the first time,will have not been as settled as in the future. A few rides, fine tune your position, understand the bike and gearing better, then you're going to be more relaxed and smooth, resulting in using less energy, lower HR and a more pleasant cycling experience. Enjoy.

Thank you Storck. Yes I am really happy with the bike and cannot wait to get out and ride again. I will have to really hold back so as not to overdo it. Yes I do need to play around with the settings and position a little bit but on the whole I can see this as being a really positive experience.

Southernguns

Thanks for the heads up on the HR strap. I thought it might be something like that but hadn't looked into it. I didn't get any documentation with the bike - I guess it is all online these days. TBH I probably won't use the app that much once I am used to the bike. I will probably use my Mio 305 with my Garmin HR strap and cadence sensor. This also gives more accurate altitude and cadence results.

Southernguns

- yes, battery usage sounds fine, 13miles/16% would indicate a possible range of over 80 miles. I'm doing well if I get 1km/1% (approx. 60 miles), BTW isn't the seatpost supplied with the bike a carbon SLK? What tyre pressures are you using? Being used to using 23mm and 25mm tyres I think I tend to over inflate the wider tyres I'm using on my Gain - 70psi front and 80 psi rear.

Thanks youngoldbloke. When you put the battery usage like that it does not seem so bad. I hadn't actually sat down and worked it out - my write up was literally straight after I came in from the ride.

TBH I have no idea about the seat post. It probably is carbon now you mention it. I will look into it and check. The bike felt a lot firmer than my carbon one, despite the bigger tyres (I use 25mm on my carbon bike), but this is most likely due to the sensitivity and pain in my back and hip more than the bike itself. I have no idea what tyre pressure is in the tyres currently as I am unable to use my track pump to inflate them (I must get a compressor), so I didn't see the point in connecting it up just to check the pressures. As my back improves I will have a look and see. I normally inflate my 25mm to 80 psi and a quick squeeze indicates they may be a bit less than that - but this is a "tyre kickers" philosophy to testing tyres:banghead:I don't know what would be a good pressure - possible 50 psi?

Storck

Thanks for the heads up on the HR strap. I thought it might be something like that but hadn't looked into it. I didn't get any documentation with the bike - I guess it is all online these days. TBH I probably won't use the app that much once I am used to the bike. I will probably use my Mio 305 with

We share common tastes South? I too have a Mio 305 & 505. Yes they are much more accurate and of course in front of ya, not in your back pocket. Of course you still need the app though. BTW, mines a Soda & Lime, next time I'm in apple drinking Somerset?

Southernguns

We certainly do have similar taste - mine is a lime cordial! You are always welcome should you every be down this way.

I fabricated a DIY homemade mobile phone holder out of a £3 rubber phone case and cable tied it to my stem. Works a treat and allows me to have the app on in front of me as well. When I use the Mio 305 (I wanted the 505 but could not find one at the price I afford at the time) I will download maps onto it from Komoot and use that for collecting all my data and just put the phone in my pocket with the app running as well.

Storck

We certainly do have similar taste - mine is a lime cordial! You are always welcome should you every be down this way.

I fabricated a DIY homemade mobile phone holder out of a £3 rubber phone case and cable tied it to my stem. Works a treat and allows me to have the app on in front of me as well. When I use the Mio 305 (I wanted the 505 but could not find one at the price I afford at the time) I will download maps onto it from Komoot and use that for collecting all my data and just put the phone in my pocket with the app running as well.

BTW, did you know you can replace the Mio battery yourself? They cost around £20. All you need is a Torck 5 screwdriver (magnatized) and some sticky tape. It's a five minute job to do. The only real benefit for me, the 505 over the 305 is? You don't have to fire up the laptop in order to upload rides. I've ran them both together, with matching results.

Southernguns

BTW, did you know you can replace the Mio battery yourself? They cost around £20. All you need is a Torck 5 screwdriver (magnatized) and some sticky tape. It's a five minute job to do. The only real benefit for me, the 505 over the 305 is? You don't have to fire up the laptop in order to upload rides. I've ran them both together, with matching results.

That is good to know as my 305 battery is not the best. Another year and I think it will need replacing. Yes, that was the main reason I wanted the 505 rather than the 305, especially as I use my chromebook rather than my laptop as Windows infuriates me with it updates and painfully slow OS. Cannot upload Mio rides from the chromebook. I tend to wear my Garmin watch on my wrist also which records everything and uploads it directly to Strava, but this would mean having the Mio, garmin and the mobile phone with ebikemotion app all running. A bit overkill ^_^ me thinks.

Southernguns

And that's why I buy used Windows 7/8 laptops. No updates.

Yes much better than W10, but unfortunately as of next year they will no longer be supported my Microsoft so will become a security risk. Thankfully electric bikes seem to be much quicker than W7 and 10.

Scaleyback

Veteran

If I remember correctly you are on 28mm tubeless tyres ? If so your tyre pressures are
about right. Interesting article here:- https://www.huntbikewheels.com/pages/recommended-tyre-pressures

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Thanks Roy - useful information. Yes I'm using 28mm Continental GP4000SII. They actually measure 32mm on the wheel, so it does sound as if I'm in the right ballpark. I do find the bike quite bouncy on some surfaces, but it could simply be the continuing deterioration of the local road surfaces.

Top Bottom