Organized LEJOG events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flanker37

I have contemplated doing the lejog for a while now. And i can cycle more than 100 miles in a day no problem. But i don't think i could afford to do it on my own. So i am looking for an organized event for late September this year or maybe from the summer next year

Only trouble is, i cant seem to find any using google

corshamjim

frank9755

Cyclist
Organised tours are invariably more expensive than solo tours - sometimes dramatically so, sometimes only a little bit.

The cheapest organised LEJOGs are probably CTC and Bike Adventures, but I think they are both £1,000+. You could do it on your own for far less.

On an organised tour you are employing people to do things and they need to be paid!

OP
OP
Flanker37

Flanker37

well i might hold off until next summer, and see if i can convince my cousin to join me. And maybe try the YHA approach. If i do it solo, i might try pitching my lightweight 1 man tent i've never used yet by the side of the road somewhere.

See if i can plot a route every 100 miles

You will enjoy it more if you plan it yourself, and you will not be alone; sometime there hundreds of people along the route flogging northwards or Southwards.
Doing your own planning allows you to be flexable, if you want a day rest then you can, if you feel that you want to push along and do 140 Kms then you can.

I know it sounds scary if you have not done any tour planning before, but when you get home afterwards you will feel more chuffed, than if you used a organised tour.

The many times I have cycled all or parts of the route, I have always been able to find YHA or B&B, but it pays to start looking a few hours before dark, incase you need to to try a few places.

On here alone there is so much knowledge availble, plenty of routes you can chop and mix to suit your needs.

Masses of information on this site: http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Doing the ride by yourself is not as daunting as you might think. You will never be short of conversations. Wherever you stop folk will have a word and more likely than not ask if you are doing a LEJOG.

Doing it by yourself removes the tension that might arise when riders have differing ideas about pace, rest stops and eating stops. You can choose whatever takes your fancy. Most of my touring here and in France is done solo and I've never lacked for conversation in French or English.

As for costs - paying to do a tour will cost at least double what it would cost you to travel independently especially if you camp.

The easy way to find campsites is to take the pages fro,m a Phillips' Road atlas and tear out the pages that cover your chosen route. The approximate location of campsites are shown and i was only let down twice in 3000 miles of UK touring including LEJOG and JOGLE. That was because the marked sites were caravan only.

Don't forget to have a look at the CTC forums dedicated to LEJOG where you will find other sources of advice.

Top Bottom