Ortlieb back Roller classic panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Tough as old boots.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Tough and utterly waterproof.
My only criticism is I would have liked a small outside pocket, and better internal organisation options (it's just one big space inside, save for a small mesh zip pocket)

OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
My current pannier isn't a totally waterproof, if I get caught in a serious down pour it'll let water in. But it has plenty of pockets which I liked. Keeping tools and inner tubes separate in it's own place. I've seen a pair for 63 pounds I thought the price was good.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
mine have been in a canal, attached to the bike. completely submerged for a minute or two. everything was bone dry at day's end.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mine have been going strong for about 4 years now ... I've had to patch one very small graze after an incident with a car - but that was several years ago and is still absolutely fine. I would replace with the same again if I had to. I admit I would probably like extra pockets but cope without.

I like completely over filling them - especially after a shopping trip to the supermarket - leaving the top open and french stick sticking out. They have kept the water out easily unlike the pair of Dawes ones that they replaced which had a cover which wasn't waterproof either. (I haven't tried the canal test to fully check them out but been in some torrential downpours).

Tough and utterly waterproof.
My only criticism is I would have liked a small outside pocket, and better internal organisation options (it's just one big space inside, save for a small mesh zip pocket)

ortlieb-outerpocket-sm-11-med.jpg

Pocket sorted!

Detachable as well!

I have used these for years and they are (virtually) indestructible

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have a pair that I bought two years ago. They are absolutely wonderful, well made, very tough and take a lot of punishment. I think that Ortlieb have a five year warranty. Oh, and guess what? They keep the contents bone dry in all conditions. They have to be the bit of kit that I think is by far the best value for money, even though the initial cost is a bit higher than the competition. Money very, very well spent.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Pocket sorted!

Detachable as well!

I have used these for years and they are (virtually) indestructible

Yes, I do have one of those. Have you found that if the pocket is full, but the pannier is nearly empty, the pocket can swing around quite a bit and rub against your wheel?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
How does the pocket fit on the pannier?

It's got plastic brackets that you screw onto the main pannier, and the pocket clips into those.
It's worth using a little bit of bathroom silicon sealant on the screw holes, to make sure no water can get in that way.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It's got plastic brackets that you screw onto the main pannier, and the pocket clips into those.
It's worth using a little bit of bathroom silicon sealant on the screw holes, to make sure no water can get in that way.
A ha! My Brompton (Ortlieb) 'O' bag has those brackets already fitted. Makes sense. I think they do a mesh bag well iirc.

Top Bottom