Ortlieb Back Roller Panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After having to dress in wet clothes a couple of days ago I've invested in some new panniers.

They've turned up today so I'll fit them at lunch.
They look easy enough. Are there any pitfalls I should watch out for?

I've only experience of their 'plus' system they are so easy to fit, there really isn't a pitfall IMO. Move the hooks at the top to the correct position and clamp, likewise unscrew the hook at the back rotate to the desired angle and move to the desired position, simples. In rare conditions you might also need to unscrew the back plate and shift the back hook up to the upper rail. The only drawback of the panniers IMO is they are a little cavernous. Fwiw I like to position my back hook so that it points forward, I can slide on the panniers from the back and so when I brake it stops them from being thrown forward, I doubt thats an issue though.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
straightforward to fit. allen key to adjust the fittings. stuff em full when you set them up the first time to avoid heel strike.

lejogger

Guru
You've made a fine purchase. Very versatile... I use mine for the daily commute (full Suit, shoes, toiletries, towel etc) - just one pannier needed, obviously for full touring, and even for my footy boots etc when cycling to the game.

Just remember to keep out the things you might need easy access to... eg I habitually pack my keys then have to fumble about when I get home.

I'm a total Ortlieb convert now... I even forked out for the quick release trunk bag. Very handy for all the tools, lock and bits and bobs etc.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
I thought I could get Altura's for £40 each, Outer Edge's for £23 each or get something quality that'll do the job intended. Got the pair of Ortliebs for £80 (they were the classics not the ones without shoulder straps - inner pockets). 5 year guarantee too.

Just fitted them. Easy as pie. Lock nicely in place and love the quick release mechanism. Panniers now packed. One with stuff I can leave on the bike (i.e. spare tubes, tool, various weather clothing, emergency lights), and the other with stuff I need to bring into the office (i.e. phones, keys, shirts, ties etc).

Just need it to rain now :biggrin:

Sara_H

Guru
I just got some of these.

I love them too, but have decided to use them just for touring and carry on using my cheap lidl ones for commuting.

I think its a shame there isn't some way to lock them onto the rack, so that you could leave them attatched if popping into a shop or whatever.

I think its a shame there isn't some way to lock them onto the rack, so that you could leave them attatched if popping into a shop or whatever.
They do a security cable just for that.

My link

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
I love them too, but have decided to use them just for touring and carry on using my cheap lidl ones for commuting.
I looked at the Lidl ones - but the middle storage section would block my rear lights.
Plus I've just had a set of very similar Avenirs fail on me. They were fine for the 1st year - then gave up the ghost this week.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I have managed to damage my Ortliebs back paniers - although I don't know how. There are a few abrasions and cuts. It's easy enough to repair, though - there's a repair kit, and the procedure is very like repairing a puncture. I haven't been able to test the repair in a downpour yet, but I think they'll probably be just as waterproof as before.

They do a security cable just for that.

My link

I believe this only works on Orlieb plus bags. It won't fit on the Ortlieb classic.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I just got some of these.

re-useable zip tie appears to deter the casual thief for me.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I wish I'd kept one of their flyer's, it was something like you can even cross rivers with our panniers and showed a photo of somebody wading through a river.

mine have been in a canal, whilst still attached to the bike.:blush:

contents were bone dry, I wasn't.

AlanW

Guru
mine have been in a canal, whilst still attached to the bike.:blush:

contents were bone dry, I wasn't.

I have to ask, what happened?

However and back on topic, I should have my Back Roller Plus's arrive on Monday. :biggrin: I have to admit that the only reason I went for the Plus version was because I don't like the shiny effect on the normal ones. :blush:

Top Bottom