Ortlieb - Bike-Packer/Sport-Packer vs Back-Roller/Front-Roller

Which Ortlieb pannier system do you prefer?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enogeze

What are the pros and cons for back panniers - Bike-Packer vs Back-Roller

What are the pros and cons for front panniers - Sport-Packer vs Front-Roller

Has anyone used a Bike-Packer or Back-Roller as a front pannier - what were your experiences?

Thanks

jags

Guru
hi enogeze no idea about the ones you listed but i bought the ortlieb bikepacker plus and ultimate 5 barbag there brilliant panniers i tryed them out a couple weeks back when all that rain was about ,they preformed brilliantly not a drop of rain got inside ,so i can highly reccommend the bikepacker plus.

When I was looking for panniers the Sportpacker was the better size for me, I also thought the mesh pocket would be useful, which it has been. I also like its closure system that has let me get all sizes of awkward loads,and I can quite quickly open it up and throw something in. My other pannier is the ortlieb office bag, it has the roller opening system and I don't find it as user friendly.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have the back roller which I chose to be able to put different amounts of stuff in - or when I pick up my son at school I often just chuck his stuff in on top and leave it open (this is on dry days and only for half a mile). I would like a pocket on the outside - but I used to catch my old one on gates etc.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I've got front and rear rollers. I've occasionally used the front ones on the back, but never to other way round.
I've not tried the packers, though I have used Carradice with much the same closure system. I can't say I find any problems with the roller closure system - there's both advantages and disadvantages, all pretty minor. The roller is more waterproof, though it only really matters if you do something like lose the edge of the road whilst riding through a flood and fall off (BTDTGTTS).

historyman

I use a front roller on the back rack. A friend had a Dahon & was doing this cos needs a small back one on account of smaller wheels. I do it simply cos I don't need such a big bag. It's fine - I have never been arrested for doing this.

Bodhbh

Guru
Enogeze said:
What are the pros and cons for back panniers - Bike-Packer vs Back-Roller

What are the pros and cons for front panniers - Sport-Packer vs Front-Roller

Has anyone used a Bike-Packer or Back-Roller as a front pannier - what were your experiences?

Thanks
I've running about with backrollers on the back, and sport packers on the front. Despite been initially suspicous, I've come to much prefer the rolltop closure over the backpack-type two-drawstrings and top flap on the packers. Once you get used to them they seem quicker to close and roll-up smaller and neater when they aren't very full. The packers came with an outside pocket tho by default which does get used, at least on 1 pannier. Not sure if you can fit them with a kit on the rollers.

Use the frontpacker on the back sometimes for communting when just carrying the tools and a change of clothes, but never the other way around, backrollers look to big for the front.

Yeah, you want to get the right ones don't you with the price of them :smile:.

Top Bottom