Ortlieb handlebar mount for the pro 6 bag.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
Is this the worst designed system for attaching a bar bag ever. Thread the wire around the bars, pull tight, tighten screws, cut the end off the wire and push the end back into the mount. Only you can't because all the wire strands have splayed out. I'm not convinced it will support any weight.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Does the job but is fiddly. I found I didn’t like the way a bar bag makes the steering flop.

Is this the worst designed system for attaching a bar bag ever. Thread the wire around the bars, pull tight, tighten screws, cut the end off the wire and push the end back into the mount. Only you can't because all the wire strands have splayed out. I'm not convinced it will support any weight.
The std Ortleib and Rixen&Kaul use a single pass of the wire under the stem. Rock solid, durable and lightweight. The wire system is much better than the cheap, simple clamps that must be twice the size for half the strength.
Why do the double wire routing?

Paraphrasing my last read of the fitting instructions:- "Fit the wire in first clamp and route over the bar then under the stem so the bag hangs as required then trim surplus off" so depending on the cutters used it will be a mm or so proud and out of the way at bracket edge as snips won't quite go flush, I cut it much longer (for another fatter barred bit) and poked it back into the bracket, though it can just hang loose of course. So did you clamp it tight and remove it all to trim to the splayed bit? not realising difficulty to rethread it? Figure of eight around the stem stops rotation upwards but hardly essential, let's face it all the crap in the bag makes the bag a gravity well... New cables are available in varying lengths.

robgul

Legendary Member
Paraphrasing my last read of the fitting instructions:- "Fit the wire in first clamp and route over the bar then under the stem so the bag hangs as required then trim surplus off" so depending on the cutters used it will be a mm or so proud and out of the way at bracket edge as snips won't quite go flush, I cut it much longer (for another fatter barred bit) and poked it back into the bracket, though it can just hang loose of course. So did you clamp it tight and remove it all to trim to the splayed bit? not realising difficulty to rethread it? Figure of eight around the stem stops rotation upwards but hardly essential, let's face it all the crap in the bag makes the bag a gravity well... New cables are available in varying lengths.
. . . or a length of old brake cable in a bit of small bore plastic tubing is just as good - if not better. Have to say that the R&K mount is much better than the Ortlieb mount.

Top Bottom