Ortlieb Office Bag 2 Pannier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

historyman

This Ortlieb sounds great & the Carradice looks nice. Both good for getting on & off the rack but what about swift opening and closing? On my way home, I may stop at the library, the chemists, the grocers. I currently have something by Creek2Peak which is light and cheap and comes on & off the rack ok but a shag to open & close (fernickety drawstrings, pair of clips).
PS having done a wee bit more research I'm eyeing up a 'Bike Shopper'. http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=8362&catID=98
Any views on this?

Danny

Legendary Member
The Ortlieb is really easy to get on and off a rack - you just pull on the handle to release the clips that hold it to the rack.

It then takes less than two second to open or close the top of the Ortleib. However, unlike panniers you can't just slip small items into the bag when it is shut, because of the roll top design which keeps all water out.

historyman

Thanks Danny, sound's like it's easier than my pannier (into which I can't quickly slip small items anyway, or at least not without leaving the drawstrings trailing). Just asking tho- are your remarks about the Ortlieb top referring to the 'Bike Shopper' in particular, or to general Ortleib bags?

Danny

Legendary Member
historyman said:
Thanks Danny, sound's like it's easier than my pannier (into which I can't quickly slip small items anyway, or at least not without leaving the drawstrings trailing). Just asking tho- are your remarks about the Ortlieb top referring to the 'Bike Shopper' in particular, or to general Ortleib bags?

To Ortleib bags in general, as I am not actually familiar with the Bike Shopper. I really like the fixing system, and as Mr Paul says the roll top is not a problem - and it keeps out the rain.

historyman

Thanks for all the comments. I've since had the opportunity to examine a 'Bike Shopper'. Basically it has a quick ziplock top and is without the 'rollover top' common to most other Ortlieb bags, should be pretty nifty for those like me with relatively short commutes & not requiring ultra waterproofing. However, I'm also quite taken with the Carradice SQR Slim which fits behind the saddle & removes the need for a rear rack or mudguards, thus reducing weight. But I'm wondering - as it sticks out from the back of the saddle, will I then be able to 'get my leg over'?

historyman

This is the one I got-

http://actionoutdoors.co.uk/shop/ortlieb-backroller-classic-special-edition-whiteline-p-1008.html

I'm pleased, because I didn't realise that the rollover fixing is easier than that of the Office bag. You roll it up the same, but you can get away with only doing up the centre strap, so it's pretty simple and quick.

In the end I bought a pair of front rollers @ 60.75 GBP from Wiggle. As a commuter, I need a smaller bag which the front roller is (& you can 'take it from behind' if a rear rack is what you have). I even removed the centre strap - which you can also replace easily enough. Very happy with this arrangement.

Gav Hall

Carrying files

I am thinking of getting the large 21L office bag - it seems the best option and whilst it will not fit my laptop at 17" I don't think, I am sure I can live with that. There don't seem many that do. Will it fit large files though, so those that hold A4 paper but are therefore slightly large in themselves?

Any help much appreciated,

Gav

Top Bottom