Ortlieb panniers - are the clips a weak point?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
I did the same caught it on a rucksack cover strap and pulled without realising. and got replacement straps. If you want my undamaged clip you can have it. I assume undoing the small screw will release the clip from the strap. Should work. Gez
Thanks for the offer Gez73. I'm going to write to Ortlieb first to see what they have to say, but then I'm off on (a non-cycling) holiday for a while so I'll see where I am when I get back. But if I get no joy from Ortlieb, is it OK if I contact you again about the clip at that time?

Gez73

Veteran
Yeah sure going nowhere. Let me know. Gez

Thoreson

Yes, the clips are a weak point. I haven't broken a clip in over 10,000 miles of touring, however I've met many, many others who have. The clips on the front panniers seem especially prone to failure. Granted, people with broken clips seem to fill their bags with as much as possible and then strap on a water bottle or two whereas I try to keep my bags lightly loaded (F=ma, even on a bicycle). Other cycle tourists also report problems with the lower hooks. Given the price point, I'd like to see Ortlieb increase the strength of their clips (and perhaps include an option to lock the bags to the rack too). It would be worth the piece of mind. Despite my efforts at traveling relatively light, the possibility of a break seems realistic given what I've seen.

Top Bottom