Osteoarthritis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Currently go out with the b3 and was thinking of joining the b2 group as I was doing well . Now it might be better going out with the c group as it less distance and slower pace .

vickster

Legendary Member
Currently go out with the b3 and was thinking of joining the b2 group as I was doing well . Now it might be better going out with the c group as it less distance and slower pace .
Sounds a sensible plan at least until you learn how to manage the knee pain :okay:

What medication do you have?
Get into the habit of icing the knee every night. 10-15 mins, ice pack wrapped in a tea towel

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Thanks for the tips .
Was prescribed naproxen from the gp . Have only started them yesterday so will see how I go with that

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
No no stomach protector. I know all about taking on an empty stomach .I learned the hard way . I took an antibiotic tablet recently one evening and forgot I hadn't eaten since breakfast and my god it was awful.

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Defo will give it a go . Thanks

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Have voltarol here but havnt used it daily. Might start tho
Went to bed last night and had a dull pain in both knees . Got back up agian and got two bags of frozen peas and lay with them on my knees for 15 min . I didn't feel a big difference but I was feeling ok going asleep . Woke thismorning with no pain and by the time I had breakfast the pains were back .

Drago

Legendary Member
Im having continuing shoulder problems. Im waiting for a scan, but osteo A is on the list of potentials. Im still lifting until a medical person tells me not to.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have voltarol here but havnt used it daily. Might start tho
Went to bed last night and had a dull pain in both knees . Got back up agian and got two bags of frozen peas and lay with them on my knees for 15 min . I didn't feel a big difference but I was feeling ok going asleep . Woke thismorning with no pain and by the time I had breakfast the pains were back .
Check with your doctor about the voltaren if taking naproxen. It’s generally not advised to use two NSAIDs together.
Hopefully the naproxen will start to help in a few days
Get the heat packs too

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Forgot to say I had keyhole in both knees in 2010 for torn cartalige .
Are the benefits of the keyhole surgery not permanent, then?
I remember, in my case, the consultant said surgery was not recommended, he did not elaborate.
The pain in my knee was acute until I started cycling, then it gradually got better.
I did not start cycling because of the knee, but it was a nice side effect!
Of course, it will never be as before the cartilage rip.
I'm 55 now, have an active job with lots of lifting and walking, I guess some aches are to be expected at my age.
The ice pack stuff on the knee was not mentioned by Docs or consultant, so I never did it, but it worked when I pulled a muscle in my back.
I did not bother with painkillers, can't advice on them.
You're too young for a knee replacement on the NHS, if it ends up your mobility gets limited, I would go private, at the cost of having to take a loan.
Imo, physio exercises help, of course, but won't repair permanent joint damage.
With damaged knees, at 39 you won't be able to do on the bike what others your age can do, equal fitness assumed.
If being fast on the bike is very important to you I would explore surgery options.
If you can live with being slower or with riding shorter distances until you knees recover a bit I would put surgery off till when/if you develop mobility issues.

Smudge

Veteran
Osteoarthritis is another of my health probs, although i dont get it in my knees. Its in my hands and to a lesser extent in my left elbow.
I use anti inflammatories. Meloxicam seemed to work better for me than Naproxen, but only a bit better. Have to take Omeprazole with them for the associated stomach thing. Also occasionally use NSAID gel Piroxicam. Also had steroid injections that did nothing for me at all. Also tried Flexiseq, £14 for a small tube (cant get it on scrip) that did sod all. Some people swear by this, but for me it was snake oil.
All of these things may or may not work for you.

Osteoarthritis is something that i now just try to live with.

Top Bottom