Osteoarthritis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are the benefits of the keyhole surgery not permanent, then?
I remember, in my case, the consultant said surgery was not recommended, he did not elaborate.
The pain in my knee was acute until I started cycling, then it gradually got better.
I did not start cycling because of the knee, but it was a nice side effect!
Of course, it will never be as before the cartilage rip.
I'm 55 now, have an active job with lots of lifting and walking, I guess some aches are to be expected at my age.
The ice pack stuff on the knee was not mentioned by Docs or consultant, so I never did it, but it worked when I pulled a muscle in my back.
I did not bother with painkillers, can't advice on them.
You're too young for a knee replacement on the NHS, if it ends up your mobility gets limited, I would go private, at the cost of having to take a loan.
Imo, physio exercises help, of course, but won't repair permanent joint damage.
With damaged knees, at 39 you won't be able to do on the bike what others your age can do, equal fitness assumed.
If being fast on the bike is very important to you I would explore surgery options.
If you can live with being slower or with riding shorter distances until you knees recover a bit I would put surgery off till when/if you develop mobility issues.

If you’ve had cartilage removed (as is usual especially in older, 30+), then it is entirely possible to retear the meniscus. Also, removing it changes the biomechanics in the knee, and also removes shock absorption, so arthritis (damage to the bone surface) is a common consequence. The arthritis in turn can lead to inflammation. more degeneration and damage to the meniscus and so on in a vicious cycle until the meniscus is completely fubared and also the bone surfaces. The eventual end being a joint replacement. However, even privately, joint replacement is avoided in the under 50s as the prosthesis has a finite lifespan and revisions are undesirable. There are other surgical and non surgical options but when there’s even moderate damage, they just delay the inevitable. Surgery isn’t a panacea, especially if pain is the main symptom as it can’t adequately fix the cause of pain (inflammation and bone damage). It can be useful if the knee is locking or giving away due trapped tissue or loose bodies. MRI usually needed. X-ray really just shows misalignment and joint space deterioration from surface loss

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers/joint-cartilage-osteoarthritis

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers/osteoarthritis-management-options

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
I'm busy this weekend so will aim for a bike ride next weekend a small easy ride tbh to see how I go . Thanks for all the input really appreciate it .
Just need to get physio started now

MachersMan

I'm riddled with osteoarthritis after 40 years laying bricks, blocks and stone. I was told I need to wait until I'm 60 before I can go on the list for a new hip (NHS). That was in 2013 and since I've just learned to live with it. My GP said loosing weight and low impact exercise to strengthen the tissue around the effected joints would ease the symptoms and he was right. I rarely need any meds these days. On the bike I sometimes get mild pain in the knees at the beginning of a ride but the hips cope well and I've had no problems so far.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm 60 and it came on very suddenly at around 59. Always suffered with lower back problems and often had a reasonably physical job, plus OA is present in my mum's side of the family.
Uggggh, aches in the hips, the first 6 months were terrible. Started taking cod liver oil capsules maybe 6 months ago and after a month I thought I was getting some benefit but the aches came back..,,but they've now receded for the last couple weeks, still sore and stiff when waking, easing after an hour, and while the evenings were very painful after a days work, it's easier now...not good, but better. I only take the minimal amount of ibrufen or paracetamol I need to to keep it at bay, I'm a bit averse to the thought of regular medicines, not for any great reason, just suspicious of longer term effects.
Occasional stretching, not enough though in all honesty....and keep struggling on, its all a bit pants.:tongue:

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Well guys . I've been back out on the bike yesterday . The first in about 5 weeks.
Going to bed the night before my knees were giving me agro. Got up next morning and had no pain .had it in my head to go for a hours ride and see how it goes. Yea right that didn't happen .went out on a group ride with intentions to head back early ,well I felt good so went on for 20miles before I split off . Still had no pain at that point I thought it was better to quit while I was ahead . In all I done 43miles and felt good .
I think the higher cadence and lower gears and less grinding done the trick .maye I shouldn't have done 43 miles but I was enjoying being on the bike . Knees felt good after the ride and thismorning when I woke up . Went out at lunchtime today to watch a cyclocross race for 2 hours and I was in agony with just standing and have been sore since . How does that work ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Well guys . I've been back out on the bike yesterday . The first in about 5 weeks.
Going to bed the night before my knees were giving me agro. Got up next morning and had no pain .had it in my head to go for a hours ride and see how it goes. Yea right that didn't happen .went out on a group ride with intentions to head back early ,well I felt good so went on for 20miles before I split off . Still had no pain at that point I thought it was better to quit while I was ahead . In all I done 43miles and felt good .
I think the higher cadence and lower gears and less grinding done the trick .maye I shouldn't have done 43 miles but I was enjoying being on the bike . Knees felt good after the ride and thismorning when I woke up . Went out at lunchtime today to watch a cyclocross race for 2 hours and I was in agony with just standing and have been sore since . How does that work ?
Because standing especially on uneven ground, you’re putting lots of weight through your legs. Cycling not so much

MachersMan

I agree with Vickster, on the bike most of your weight goes down the seat post. 70% I think but happy to be corrected as its just a bell ringing, probably read it somewhere.

vickster

Legendary Member
I agree with Vickster, on the bike most of your weight goes down the seat post. 70% I think but happy to be corrected as its just a bell ringing, probably read it somewhere.
Also, as explained by my physio, when cycling, assume your bike (and cleats) is set up right your knee only moves through one plane and doesn’t (shouldn’t) twist

postman

Legendary Member
Knees i can tell you about knees.Mine nearly cost me my job in 2003.All is great now though.So for nine years my right knee would swell up and lock,bone would rub i was useless.I had to lay out on a bed at work in the first aid room.I became a 'standing ' joke.One time it locked they put me in a cage and pushed me off the floor to the first aid room.Where it could take up to an hour to settle down,i sometimes could not bend it to get on my motor scooter,finished work at 21-30 could not get home while 23-00.
We it would swell up if i just turned sideways.so i was interviewed.So i saw my Doctor told him i was in a bad place and could lose my job.So months later i had key hole surgery,cut and trimmed the cartlidge and swilled out the garbage from years and years of damage.Well knowing i was in danger of losing my job i went back to work without permission of the Surgeon,well during a night shift it collapsed and an ambulance was called.i arrived at about 04-00 and i stayed till the next clinic,it was my Surgeon ,he hit the roof when i told him i had gone back to work,he did another operation and kept me off for nine weeks a grand total of sixteen weeks.
It is now 2018 because of the knee i took vol redundancy because it still swelled slightly even on permanent light duties that was 2006 three years after both ops.I still do the exercises even today as part of a keep fit routine i can cycle and everything is ok.So you should/will be ok but it depends what you do at work,too much bending and turning could cause swelling so take it easy.

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Im doing all I can in every way to help my knees while at work and everyday life and even when cycling to cause the least ammount of stress to the knees .

But on a good note . I've had 3 club rides, one solo ride since this post was started and one today roughly 40 miles with plenty of hills . And I am quite surprised as I've no knee pain today just tiredness . Tho Ile bet tomorrow will be a different story .

vickster

Legendary Member
Im doing all I can in every way to help my knees while at work and everyday life and even when cycling to cause the least ammount of stress to the knees .

But on a good note . I've had 3 club rides, one solo ride since this post was started and one today roughly 40 miles with plenty of hills . And I am quite surprised as I've no knee pain today just tiredness . Tho Ile bet tomorrow will be a different story .
Ice your knees his evening to reduce any inflammation. Heat if they feel stiff

Don't wait for the NHS - private physio is £35 by me. Its only shifted me out of the acute stage - mine is lower back related to the facet joints. Last weekend it was ok and I got for 15 miles - this weekend its a bit more painful so it might just be the gym and excercise bike.

I finally beat the GP into submission, and now MRI'S and orthopaedic consultations booked for late Nov/early DEC.

Top Bottom