Osteoarthritis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
These are mine. Both knees need partial medial replacements. Cycling keeps them going but it is a case now of sooner rather than later for the op!

Thanks for posting the X ray. I've been putting offogoing down the surgery route but I've come to the point of no return because I can't walk even short distances. My joints are more bent than yours. The movement when I walk now affects my hips. I have an appointment with the surgeon next week. Eek!

dickyknees

Guru
Thanks for posting the X ray. I've been putting offogoing down the surgery route but I've come to the point of no return because I can't walk even short distances. My joints are more bent than yours. The movement when I walk now affects my hips. I have an appointment with the surgeon next week. Eek!

Best of luck.

When I asked the surgeon when I’ll know when I’m ready for surgery he said “Oh you’ll know”. Sounds as your nearly there.

I’ve an appointment next week with an NHS physio for unloader knee braces as a last ditch way of delaying the inevitable surgery.

gbb

Legendary Member
So about a year and a half after quite sudden onset of OA, around a year of debilitating and almost continuous pain in my hips, I might be getting topside of it.

6 months ago I described my pain level to the docs as at 6 to 8 most of the time. He told me to modify my painkiller regime, quite simply take cocodamol instead of paracetamol and / or ibrufen, try taking glucosamine sulphate and confirmed taking cod liver oil was a good thing.

I'd describe my pain levels now at 3 to 5 perhaps, Im still very stiff in the mornings and a fair bit pained for the first 15 minutes walking, then it eases off...and better still, it doesnt get so bad in the evening. I am perhaps walking less at work, maybe 10 to 12k steps a day instead of 12 to 16k...maybe that's helped as well. Havnt taken any pain killers for 2 days now , even better. On the slightly negative side, my knees hurt a bit nowadays.

Its always difficult to know if it's just a good temporary phase you're going through, perhaps it flares up and down naturally...but generally, the last 6 months have seen an improvement since taking the pills above.
Just musing for anyone that's suffering or interested :okay:

So about a year and a half after quite sudden onset of OA, around a year of debilitating and almost continuous pain in my hips, I might be getting topside of it.

6 months ago I described my pain level to the docs as at 6 to 8 most of the time. He told me to modify my painkiller regime, quite simply take cocodamol instead of paracetamol and / or ibrufen, try taking glucosamine sulphate and confirmed taking cod liver oil was a good thing.

I'd describe my pain levels now at 3 to 5 perhaps, Im still very stiff in the mornings and a fair bit pained for the first 15 minutes walking, then it eases off...and better still, it doesnt get so bad in the evening. I am perhaps walking less at work, maybe 10 to 12k steps a day instead of 12 to 16k...maybe that's helped as well. Havnt taken any pain killers for 2 days now , even better. On the slightly negative side, my knees hurt a bit nowadays.

Its always difficult to know if it's just a good temporary phase you're going through, perhaps it flares up and down naturally...but generally, the last 6 months have seen an improvement since taking the pills above.
Just musing for anyone that's suffering or interested :okay:
Just be aware it is progressive.
It annoys me that GPs only go by perceived pain level. In my case my problem is the mechanics of walking have been affected by the distortion of my leg due to the arthritis causing the cartilage in my knee to disintegrate on one side of the knee. The way this makes me walk means my hip on the same side is more painful than my bad knee. At the same time arthritis is progressing in the other knee and lower back.
I've got to the point I'm at now by only taking painkillers when necessary but the limitations on my movement mean surgery is now the only option.

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Since my original post I've had 6 visits to NHS physio. Which I have to say was a total waist of both our time. first visit I was given a few exercises and stretches to do .Each time I went I was given more exercise to do . Now I did do these exercises and stretches and it made me worse off . In the end the physio said just to keep cycling and doing the exercises just to keep the knees strong because the damage cant be fixed with physio . She was sending a letter to my gp and that was me finished . Since finishing physio a month ago I've not done the exercises but have been stretching before and after rides . I'm still having good days and bad days with knee pain but it's not stopping me ride . Not even a pain when riding only when off the bike but I haven't the power up hills that I had this time last year . I'm stopping the painkillers as I dont think they work .

vickster

Legendary Member
Why have you stopped doing the exercises? They should be targeting the muscles that Cycling can cause to tighten and can lead to knee pain (calves, hamstrings, glutes, hip flexors). Stretching helps too, presumably it’s a good mix you do.

If you have swelling, you could use an ice pack to reduce inflammation. If you have stiffness, apply heat, especially before doing the exercises :okay:

Cycling is non weight bearing and the knees move in a straight plane if your feet are in the right position, bike set up right.

Weightbearing, stairs put much more strain on the knees (4x body weight going up, 7 times down) especially if you are arthritic more in one compartment. Getting all the muscles balanced and providing the correct support to the knee helpful

Did you have scans?

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
It is a worry readingTriggers and furballs posts. It may be my OA is relatively mild, it may get worse, who knows...,but the first year of pain got worse and worse until I almost couldn't cope with it, it's really debilitating day after day week after week, month.....:sad:
But just now I seem to have improved. I never was very motivated to get out on the bike In winter so will have lost some muscle strength and that may be contributing to sore knees as I gradually start to push myself again.

Still very sore and stiff in the mornings but that shifts as I get going, the worst thing to do is nothing. No painkillers for 3 or 4 days now and even then I was only taking one cocodamol last thing at night to ease the forthcoming pain in the morning.

But I can be happy right now, my sympathies to sufferers....it is debilitating :sad:

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Why have you stopped doing the exercises? They should be targeting the muscles that Cycling can cause to tighten and can lead to knee pain (calves, hamstrings, glutes, hip flexors). Stretching helps too, presumably it’s a good mix you do.

If you have swelling, you could use an ice pack to reduce inflammation. If you have stiffness, apply heat, especially before doing the exercises :okay:

Cycling is non weight bearing and the knees move in a straight plane if your feet are in the right position, bike set up right.

Weightbearing, stairs put much more strain on the knees (4x body weight going up, 7 times down) especially if you are arthritic more in one compartment. Getting all the muscles balanced and providing the correct support to the knee helpful

Did you have scans?
To be honest I got a bit depressed with work and stuff at home then not getting out for a few weeks on the bike and the pain in the knees . But I've had a few nice club rides in this nice weather and a few days off work and I do plan to get back to the exercise. No scans but did have xrays done .

vickster

Legendary Member
To add to the knees and foot, I've now been diagnosed with arthritis in the AC joint in my right shoulder :sad:.
Hoping a steroid injection will help

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
I feel as if my bodys about to fall apart lol.
I've also had a problem from when I started physio for my knees. I'm getting a burning/tingling sensation in my left leg wright in the front of my shin. And it is getting worse every day . Another trip to the gp is on the cards .

vickster

Legendary Member
I feel as if my bodys about to fall apart lol.
I've also had a problem from when I started physio for my knees. I'm getting a burning/tingling sensation in my left leg wright in the front of my shin. And it is getting worse every day . Another trip to the gp is on the cards .
Where on shin or more around kneecap?

Right in the middle between knee and ankle.
If the arthritis in your knee has advanced to the point that the cartilage has eroded there wont be any cushioning from the knee joint. Basically the impact of bone against bone will cause shin pain. Either that or if you are a runner, the pain could be from impact with the ground.

To add to the knees and foot, I've now been diagnosed with arthritis in the AC joint in my right shoulder :sad:.
Hoping a steroid injection will help
Much sympathy. Quite apart from the recent shenanigans, I've had both AC joints excised and sub-acromial decompressions on both sides, all for arthritis. I'm at the age where it seems to be springing up everywhere, like weeds...

Top Bottom