Osteoporosis in cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Reading this this morning made me think how close to home it is. The other day I read that cycling isn't as good for you as you may think. After i'd had a hip break followed 2 months later by a leg break in 2016 I put it down to bad luck and a lack of muscle and fat padding due to me being very slim. I'd fallen off my bike many times before and only suffered a bruise but now broken bones means it must be my age and lack of 'body padding' i thought. According to reports cycling with it being non weight bearing doesn't strengthen our bones. We tend to cycle and not do much else (well that was the case with me,though I did 'power walk' every now and then) therefore we are putting ourselves in danger of developing osteoporosis. In my case after a bone density scan revealing osteoporosis in my lower spine I've had spinal infusions and i'm on a calcium/vitamin D daily supplement now. Not only that, but when I was measured before my bone density scan I was slightly shocked to hear i'd 'shrunk' nearly 2 inches (like the bloke in the report below). I now do weight bearing exercises at a local gym to strengthen my bones. I did fall off my bike last year,before i'd taken up weight bearing exercises and I was very relieved on getting back up to find that my right hip which i'd broken in 20016 didn't break,which I put down to the spinal infusion and the calcium supplement,plus a bit of luck maybe.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7151573/Why-men-Lycra-risk-bones-crumbling.html

Last edited:

Heckler

I've started taking calcium supplements and recently took up fencing as a bit of an all round exercise after reading about Lance taking up running and breaking various bones in the process due to the above problem. Now I'm no Lance (thankfully) but Cycling was basically my only exercise.

Crankarm

Guru
I have to say this has been known about for a good few years now which is why I have always run as well as cycled. Calisthenics is also good for retaining and building muscle mass and strength without going over board. Lots of good videos on YT.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It certainly HAS been known about for a long time. We have posted about it on the forum before several times.

Don't forget that vitamin K2 is essential for bone health too. I have posted about that LOTS of times so it won't be hard for you to find if you search my posts.

Crankarm

Guru
It certainly HAS been known about for a long time. We have posted about it on the forum before several times.

Don't forget that vitamin K2 is essential for bone health too. I have posted about that LOTS of times so it won't be hard for you to find if you search my posts.

A good healthy balanced diet in moderation not cutting out any food groups. I wonder whether cyclists who don't drink milk nor eat other diary products suffer from an increased risk of osteoporosis or dental decay as cow's milk is high in calcium?

Reactions: C R

Heckler

I wonder whether cyclists who don't drink milk nor eat other diary products suffer from an increased risk of osteoporosis or dental decay as cow's milk is high in calcium?

Which was the other reason to start taking the supplements, I don't believe I'm lactose intolerant but if I drink milk is gives me acid guts for hours so I avoid it (but cheese doesn't have the same effect weirdly).

Crankarm

Guru
Which was the other reason to start taking the supplements, I don't believe I'm lactose intolerant but if I drink milk is gives me acid guts for hours so I avoid it (but cheese doesn't have the same effect weirdly).

Yes there are people who are genuinely lactose intolerant for which diary products based on cows milk are a no go. They must get calcium from other sources. It must be difficult. Fortunately my body doesn't object when I drink milk so haven't really given other sources of calcium much thought.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A good healthy balanced diet in moderation not cutting out any food groups. I wonder whether cyclists who don't drink milk nor eat other diary products suffer from an increased risk of osteoporosis or dental decay as cow's milk is high in calcium?
The right food to get calcium (etc.) into the body. Vit D3 (from sunlight and/or diet and/or supplements) to get calcium into the blood. Vit K2 (ideally from the diet, but that is increasingly hard giving modern western farming practices) to get calcium back out into the right places (bones and teeth, NOT blood vessels and organs).

C R

Guru
Yes there are people who are genuinely lactose intolerant for which diary products based on cows milk are a no go. They must get calcium from other sources. It must be difficult. Fortunately my body doesn't object when I drink milk so haven't really given other sources of calcium much thought.
If they're lactose intolerant then they will be fine with lactose free milk, which is normal milk, with the enzyme needed to digest lactose added. The problem seems to be that a lot of people are allergic to milk proteins, so all dairy is out for them.

boydj

Legendary Member
I find golf is a good antidote to cycling, though the cycling is not great for maintaining the handicap at a decent level.

Slick

Guru
I find golf is a good antidote to cycling, though the cycling is not great for maintaining the handicap at a decent level.
I'm the very same and almost gave up when on the course watching cyclists go by and wishing I was on the bike with them. It's taken me a couple of years to find a balance but I think I'm happy with it now.

Top Bottom