Ostrich Burgers anyone ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Low fat, tastes like a big chicken.

vickster

Legendary Member
Aka African chickens!

Attachments

• 977834AA-1CAF-43BE-AE8F-44682730EA69.jpeg
    977834AA-1CAF-43BE-AE8F-44682730EA69.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 0A7E8790-C583-43D1-A062-656FEB80A0E7.jpeg
    0A7E8790-C583-43D1-A062-656FEB80A0E7.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 3

Big John

Guru
I didn't have an ostrich burger but some years ago I had a 'Roo' burger in an Australian bar. It was made from kangaroo meat and tough as old boots. I wouldn't recommend trying one if you ever come across one. I quite like the sound of ostrich though 👍

Mattk50

MattK50
I remember visiting the Train restuarant in South Africa once. It had all the meats for the tourist, zebra, giraffe, ostrich, crocodile. I found it quite interesting.

presta

Guru
I've never seen that on sale.

When the horsemeat rumpus was running I emailed the supermarkets and said if the price of horsemeat is as reported in the media, you put it on the shelves and I'll buy it.
"We don't have any plans to sell horsemeat at present, sir"

I didn't have an ostrich burger but some years ago I had a 'Roo' burger in an Australian bar. It was made from kangaroo meat and tough as old boots. I wouldn't recommend trying one if you ever come across one. I quite like the sound of ostrich though 👍
I saw kangaroo on sale in my local Tesco ~20 years ago, I didn't buy any because it was expensive, but then wished I'd given it a try. Looks like I didn't miss much.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Got some ostrich meat years ago in Asda in Aberdeen. Cannot remember much about it so could not have been very memorable.
Venison is good in season. Much of what is shot in Scotland was exported to Germany according to my wildlife pal who was a Ranger tasked with keeping the numbers under control.
He was too law abiding so never got any from him tho’ we had other sources where whole beasts staggered into our kitchen and expired. We got very good at being butchers.

Loin of young wallaby is delicious; it's a wee bit gamey (but only enough to differentiate it from 'domestic' meats) and slightly fibrous in texture somewhat like lamb but darker - a bit more similar in texture to young camel, if anyone's had that, but obviously very different in cut. Roo steaks can be good, too - depends on the age and type of roo.

Anyone eating roo sausages or burgers in a restaurant or from a supermarket is risking a tough dry gamey old boots experience; you might be lucky or you might not. Unless you personally know who's shot them, the meat might well be (often is) from the toughest bits of the biggest - hence oldest - animals.
On stations (farms) where it's not sold off the farm, or only to locals, the big old roo's carcases are usually used for feeding the dogs. It's a bit like really old mutton without any fat content!
Roo hunters licensed for general meat sales for human consumption obviously want to get the best returns possible for their investment in not just the shooting, but also the butchery, so joints from old animals which pass the inspections will of course be sold on commercially.

Milzy

Guru
Any tips on cooking Ox liver? It was strong and I had to brush my teeth afterwards. I have some lambs liver also which should be milder.

Top Bottom