Ostrich Burgers anyone ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any tips on cooking Ox liver? It was strong and I had to brush my teeth afterwards..
Ox liver or Pig liver - Soak for several hours - preferably overnight or longer - in milk or natural yoghurt; discard milk or yoghurt afterwards. Then cook. Long slow cooking of course; the soak doesn't seem to tenderise it significantly but it does reduce its 'strength' considerably.
Lambs liver, very thinly sliced and flash-grilled or fried - mmmmmmmmm! Not had it for a long time ...

Milzy

Guru
Ox liver or Pig liver - Soak for several hours - preferably overnight or longer - in milk or natural yoghurt; discard milk or yoghurt afterwards. Then cook. Long slow cooking of course; the soak doesn't seem to tenderise it significantly but it does reduce its 'strength' considerably.
Lambs liver, very thinly sliced and flash-grilled or fried - mmmmmmmmm! Not had it for a long time ...

Thanks. I’ll do the Ox liver that way now. I have 1kg of Ox and 1kg of lambs. Put some in the freezer.

Thanks. I’ll do the Ox liver that way now. I have 1kg of Ox and 1kg of lambs. Put some in the freezer.
If you want to slice liver VERY thinly for flash grilling or frying, the best/easiest time to do it (for those of us who lack professional knife skills and equipment) is when it's semi-frozen.
The smaller the pieces (within reason) of the liver that you soak in milk or yoghurt, the more effective the soaking will be.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
xx(

Who it was!

Yep. It doesn't need to have a name, or a 'stand-out' individuality, but I like for there to have been - from me, or from its owner/farmer, some recognition of its ... being.
I used to get beef from a local farm shop where they took their animals in pairs to a smallish abattoir, 'walked them through' and took the carcase home for butchery, hanging, etc. Sometimes they'd say to me things like 'this is the smaller one of the Belgian Blue twins, we used the same sire last time on the dam and what do you know, she's having twins again!' Or 'it's a bit sad really, this liver's from the cade lamb the kids bottle-fed, it's a pity it wasn't a ewe or we would have kept her ...'
When I kept hens, one of the pure-breed layers used to go broody in the summer so I'd send away for a dozen eggs for her to hatch. Of course half the chicks would be cockerels, and from a few months old they'd be going into the pot - and IMO the meat tasted all the better for being happy, tame, totally unstressed and unaware that by being picked up and handled frequently, one day they'd be picked up for the very last time ...

Top Bottom