Other Hobbies?!

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Brad, 17 Aug 2012.

1. Brad

Brad Active Member

Just thought I would start a thread off to see what other hobbies everyone undertakes in their spare time?

I will start off with mine:

RC - I love tinkering and fettling with things, and fuel powered remote control cars satisfy this urge. There are a great bunch of lads to go and race with and it really does provide a satisfying experience when they run correctly.

So what do you do?

NotthatJasonKenny likes this.
  2. Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture Internet Marketing bod

I'm a musician, although I'm not sure where you draw the line between hobby and soul-encompassing obsession? Most folk in bands quit some time in their mid-20s, the average age in my current band is about 38, and the curve is seriously pulled down by having a 22 year old fixie owning trumpeter! Despite the fact we're old bastards we're doing okay for playing festivals and whatnot.

I'm also a writer, although not so much these days as I'd rather be out on my bike that typing!

3. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit, Ribbit.

the clue's in my avatar

4. LosingFocus

LosingFocus Lost it, got it again.

Photography - film and instant (polaroid) mainly, but digital as well.

5. Night Train

Night Train Maker of Things

Not the same thing but it does have a remote control throttle....:whistle:
    DSC_0456.jpg
    I mess about with an electric tractor I designed and built from scrap.

This is a video of Arch giving it a quick spin before the wooden body work was started!
    th_Roadtest05250212.jpg

I am also designing and building an electric powered reverse trike.
    DSC01198.jpg

This is the 11" diameter motor I am building up to drive it and the first draft of the rear swing arm.
    DSC02032.jpg
    DSC01896.jpg

I could add renovating my house but I am not sure if that is a job or a hobby.:blush:

6. yello

yello Legendary Member

Oddly, I don't really class cycling as a hobbie as such but whatever, moot point, I'd say messing about with computers is the closest thing I have to a hobby.

7. Photgrapher, mountaineer, landscape artist?

Give up :tongue:

[EDIT] just seen a tent in it - camping?

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  8. I've done the whole RC thing, cars, boats, never planes but would love a helicopter.

I used to love electric RC, (apart from all the charging), but I hate Nitro RC cars, the damn things take forever to get running right, last a lap or two then konk out, after that they I can never get them set up right again, far to finnicky for my patience levels TBH.

I do a little bit of running jogging, but apart from bikes my hobbies are really my homelife and my dog, that does me :smile:

NotthatJasonKenny likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Brad

Brad Active Member

I am very much into my nitro cars, have dabbled in tenth electric but part of the fun for me is maintaining them and upgrading them to make them stronger. I also love engines which is partly why I own nitro, but I'm looking to get a 5th scale petrol model soon - maybe a baja 5b ss or something like that. It will be a kit of some sort rather than ready to run.

10. Andrew_Culture

Epic scale gardening?

Pat "5mph" and Dayvo like this.
  11. TVC

TVC Guest

Scuba diving and hill walking, not necessarily at the same time.

12. Glow worm

Glow worm Guru

Just worked out the RC thing- Roman Catholic didn't seem to make much sense as a hobby!

I dabble with growing weeds vegetables on a small allotmemt so I guess that's a bit of a hobby.
    Fanatical radio listener - especially unlicensed stuff, stemming I guess from the Caroline and Laser days back in the 80s. There's at least one radio in every room. Drives Mrs G mental.
    Help on the UK glow worm survey
    I'm also into my birds.

13. ushills

ushills Senior Member

RC helis, 450 and 550 size.

Don't have time for anything else.

14. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit, Ribbit.

None of them really - just love being up in the hills, don't even like camping, too often cold, damp and uncomfortable - but it does mean you can wake up in some spectacular places.

15. Andrew_Culture

Now I work for an engineering firm, but am not an engineer, and yet I think I can spot which part you might have missing there.

Rezillo, Arch, Pat "5mph" and 5 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice