Others in bus lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
They are more sustainable than a normal car.......

It does seem bad that some rich dude can get ahead in a cab, but if the cabs were crawling along in the traffic, people like that aren't going to take to the bus instead, they are more likely to use their own car and block up the road even more with it, either parked or in a jam.......

zimzum42

Legendary Member

It does seem bad that some rich dude can get ahead in a cab, but if the cabs were crawling along in the traffic, people like that aren't going to take to the bus instead, they are more likely to use their own car and block up the road even more with it, either parked or in a jam.......

domd1979

Veteran
Taxis have to do empty mileage to pick up their customers.

The only sustainability advantage of a taxi is that a lot of people can make use of a single vehicle over the course of the day, but how much that is actually worth in sustainability terms is probably open to debate.

zimzum42 said:

domd1979

Veteran
Taxis have to do empty mileage to pick up their customers.

The only sustainability advantage of a taxi is that a lot of people can make use of a single vehicle over the course of the day, but how much that is actually worth in sustainability terms is probably open to debate.

zimzum42 said:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I agree it's up for debate, that's why I questioned your statement saying simply that they are not a sustainable form of transport

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I agree it's up for debate, that's why I questioned your statement saying simply that they are not a sustainable form of transport

Tynan

Veteran
the taxi lobby is powerful, why the hell do they deserve any special treatment at all?

mystery to me why they're allowed in bus lanes

bonj2

Can I just say I think this is a smashing idea, especially for PHVs. Why buses should hog them when they're normally the only vehicle that block cyclists getting past and hardly ever have anyone on them anyway. At least PHVs are actually servicing a request, making journey that someone definitely WANTS to make.

col said:
before you know it,there will be more hold ups in bus lanes,so late buses again.A classic where a taxi is waiting in the bus lane for a gap to go into the next lane,no one wants to give way,as usual,so the bus sits in the bus lane,designed to keep it on time,waiting for the taxi to be let into the other lane,it can only cause more hold ups.

that isn't the taxi's fault. That's the idiot pecking-order-obsessed moron lane hoggers' fault.

col

Legendary Member
bonj said:
Can I just say I think this is a smashing idea, especially for PHVs. Why buses should hog them when they're normally the only vehicle that block cyclists getting past and hardly ever have anyone on them anyway. At least PHVs are actually servicing a request, making journey that someone definitely WANTS to make.

that isn't the taxi's fault. That's the idiot pecking-order-obsessed moron lane hoggers' fault.

Who is at fault isnt the point,there is still a holdup.

domd1979

Veteran
People on the bus are also travelling because they need to. Stop talking drivel - because you have an irrational dislike of buses doesn't mean people don't need to use them.

bonj said:

bonj2

domd1979 said:
People on the bus are also travelling because they need to. Stop talking drivel - because you have an irrational dislike of buses doesn't mean people don't need to use them.

They're not, most are usually old biddies going to the bingo/post office/pet shop, or students going to uni - but there's nothing wrong with that in itself. I wouldn't mind buses so much if they didn't block the road and get in cyclists' way so much, and people stopped pretending they solve climate change when they're actually belching out more fumes than any other vehicle.

bonj2

I think it's time for you to dig out those selective photos you took of buses without many people on Bonj. They're funny.

they're not selective, I just went out and took photos of a statistically random sample of buses. At rush hour at that. If buses are that popular I shouldn't even be ABLE to take picture of empty buses at rush hour.
DSC00017.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

col

Legendary Member
Depends on the bus driver,whether its empty in rush hour or not.When one in front gets delayed,by more than usual passengers getting on/other vehicles blocking bus lanes/traffic jams,it drops back to the bus behinds time,now if the bus behind has a lazy driver,he/she may toerope,which is what we refer to when that bus just follows the bus in front,and lets it take his and the other buses passengers,so you get a nearly empty bus behind a chocka one.Now if the bus behind overtakes and helps take the burdon,the one thats late can sometimes get back on time,so getting back to normal.It might not be the only cause,but it does contribute to it.

domd1979

Veteran
Ah, yes, those peak hour buses in Sheffield are full of older people going to the post office before 09:00 when their passes aren't valid aren't they?

As for emissions, standards are getting ever stricter, so to put it bluntly its crap to say "belching out more fumes than any other vehicle". Buses are several times more environmentally efficient than single-occupier cars (which most are at peak time).

Most decent bus operators maintain their vehicles a damn sight better than the apparently wonderful taxi operators.

bonj said:
They're not, most are usually old biddies going to the bingo/post office/pet shop, or students going to uni - but there's nothing wrong with that in itself. I wouldn't mind buses so much if they didn't block the road and get in cyclists' way so much, and people stopped pretending they solve climate change when they're actually belching out more fumes than any other vehicle.

domd1979

Veteran
I'd imagine its quite easy to take a photo of an empty bus at rush hour - when its unloaded all of its passengers.

First's profits are up this year, and they ain't done that by driving empty buses around the place.

bonj said:
they're not selective, I just went out and took photos of a statistically random sample of buses. At rush hour at that. If buses are that popular I shouldn't even be ABLE to take picture of empty buses at rush hour.

Top Bottom