1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Others in bus lanes

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Mister Paul, 16 Nov 2007.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/buslanes.bcc

3. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

Sounds sensible.

I have never had any problems with motorbikes in bus lanes. Not so sure about mincabs, but they can't be any worse than black cabs........

What's funny is when people have no idea bus lanes have active hours and I get to undertake them all and save three or four phases of lights.........

4. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

Sounds sensible.

I have never had any problems with motorbikes in bus lanes. Not so sure about mincabs, but they can't be any worse than black cabs........

What's funny is when people have no idea bus lanes have active hours and I get to undertake them all and save three or four phases of lights.........

5. Maz

Maz Guru

Will these changes slow your journey down?

6. Maz

Maz Guru

Will these changes slow your journey down?

7. dondare

dondare Über Member

PTWs use them anyway, and how do you identify minicabs?

8. dondare

dondare Über Member

PTWs use them anyway, and how do you identify minicabs?

9. col

col Veteran

before you know it,there will be more hold ups in bus lanes,so late buses again.A classic where a taxi is waiting in the bus lane for a gap to go into the next lane,no one wants to give way,as usual,so the bus sits in the bus lane,designed to keep it on time,waiting for the taxi to be let into the other lane,it can only cause more hold ups.

10. col

col Veteran

before you know it,there will be more hold ups in bus lanes,so late buses again.A classic where a taxi is waiting in the bus lane for a gap to go into the next lane,no one wants to give way,as usual,so the bus sits in the bus lane,designed to keep it on time,waiting for the taxi to be let into the other lane,it can only cause more hold ups.

11. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Is that not a contradiction in terms ? We have a two lane road so we'll close one down to anything but buses.
    Hang on, the traffic jams are gettin worse. D'oh.

I will admit that B'ham city centre and the immediate suburbs do not have a traffic infrastructure that can cope with the amount of vehicles now on the road though.

12. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Is that not a contradiction in terms ? We have a two lane road so we'll close one down to anything but buses.
    Hang on, the traffic jams are gettin worse. D'oh.

I will admit that B'ham city centre and the immediate suburbs do not have a traffic infrastructure that can cope with the amount of vehicles now on the road though.

13. dondare

dondare Über Member

The best way to make the best use of road space is to stop allowing people to store things there. Empty cars, for instance.

14. dondare

dondare Über Member

The best way to make the best use of road space is to stop allowing people to store things there. Empty cars, for instance.

15. domd1979

domd1979 New Member

No it isn't. A bus lane is capable of a greater throughput of passengers per hour than is a normal traffic lane full of single occupier cars.

I don't agree with taxis or PHVs in bus lanes either. They don't represent "sustainable transport" and it seems to me that the motive in allowing them is entirely political.