Others in bus lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domd1979

Veteran
Here's some to get him started...

http://west-midlands-buses.fpic.co.uk/p8827764.html

http://west-midlands-buses.fpic.co.uk/p7746732.html

http://west-midlands-buses.fpic.co.uk/p7746732.html

Yup, still funny Bonjy.

Pictures of buses sitting in a bus station at the end of the line, arriving at a bus station at the end of the line, and or leaving the bus station at the end of the line.

Come down to Brum and photograph some buses approaching the city centre at 8.30am and you'll not be able to wriggle out of it.

Or is it that not many people work in Sheffield?;)

bonj2

domd1979 said:
Ah, yes, those peak hour buses in Sheffield are full of older people going to the post office before 09:00 when their passes aren't valid aren't they?
Balls. Oldies' passes are ALWAYS valid. My dad's over 60 and he gets free travel on ANY bus, ANYwhere, to ANYwhere else, ANYwhere in nottinghamshire at ANY time. And he isn't even poor.

domd1979 said:
As for emissions, standards are getting ever stricter, so to put it bluntly its crap to say "belching out more fumes than any other vehicle". Buses are several times more environmentally efficient than single-occupier cars (which most are at peak time).
It's also a lot more environmentally friendly than if everyone went in their own personal space shuttle. What's your point?

domd1979 said:
Most decent bus operators maintain their vehicles a damn sight better than the apparently wonderful taxi operators.
And?

domd1979 said:
I'd imagine its quite easy to take a photo of an empty bus at rush hour - when its unloaded all of its passengers.

First's profits are up this year, and they ain't done that by driving empty buses around the place.

domd1979 said:
simoncc'd like that one ;)

domd1979

Veteran
bonj said:
Balls. Oldies' passes are ALWAYS valid. My dad's over 60 and he gets free travel on ANY bus, ANYwhere, to ANYwhere else, ANYwhere in nottinghamshire at ANY time. And he isn't even poor.

Not so in Sheffield - there is a 09:00 restriction: http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/your_tickets/ticket_types/senior_citizens_pass.htm

The statutory minimum concession is free travel within the Borough/District where the person lives, between 09:30 and 23:00. In some areas, more generous schemes are operated. From April 2008 the concession gets extended to any local bus service in England, between 09:30 and 23:00, although some authorities may offer all day travel.

It's also a lot more environmentally friendly than if everyone went in their own personal space shuttle. What's your point?

The implication in your "belching fumes" statement is that buses are not good for the environment versus other modes of travel.

Buses are better maintained than taxis. The standard of maintenance can affect emissions.

simoncc'd like that one xx(

I didn't know he was a fan of Ed James at Breakfast on 100.7 Heart FM. Mind you its not something you'd want to admit to.... ;)

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
domd1979 said:
As for emissions, standards are getting ever stricter, so to put it bluntly its crap to say "belching out more fumes than any other vehicle". Buses are several times more environmentally efficient than single-occupier cars (which most are at peak time).
You ever sat behind a bus at lights (even in a car)? When it pulls away you cannot breath, but that's OK as there are three people on it, including the driver.
Mind, black cabs kick some crap out as well

domd1979

Veteran
Emissions standards for new buses (and other commercial vehicles) have been getting ever stricter, since the introduction of the first Euro standards (Euro I was 1992 I think). I can't say that the fumes are a problem with the buses I see day to day.

Average bus occupancy is a lot higher than 3.

Elmer Fudd said:
You ever sat behind a bus at lights (even in a car)? When it pulls away you cannot breath, but that's OK as there are three people on it, including the driver.

bonj2

domd1979 said:
And? What difference does this make? What pensioners get up before 9 anyway?

domd1979 said:
The statutory minimum concession is free travel within the Borough/District where the person lives, between 09:30 and 23:00. In some areas, more generous schemes are operated. From April 2008 the concession gets extended to any local bus service in England, between 09:30 and 23:00, although some authorities may offer all day travel.
So? You're blabbering on about a complete irrelevance. Time of day is purely a distraction from the point, a diversion tactic from the fabric of this argument.

Just as many buses run at 11am as at 8:30am, it's just at 8:30am all the oldies and studes are still in bed which is why the buses are empty at this time. At 11am, there's probably an average of about 5 - 10 on each bus on their way to the bingo, uni, fish and chip shop or post office.

domd1979 said:
The implication in your "belching fumes" statement is that buses are not good for the environment versus other modes of travel.
Which is true, they're not.

domd1979 said:
Buses are better maintained than taxis. The standard of maintenance can affect emissions.
Rust doesn't increase emissions. A perished trailing arm bush doesn't affect emmissions. A cracked CV joint doesn't affect emmissions. A worn ball joint doesn't affect emmissions.
List a way in which "lack of maintenance" can cause higher emissions. You can't.
The only thing I know of that affects emissions is if they decat it, which taxi drivers won't normally bother doing anyway.

domd1979

Veteran
bonj said:
And? What difference does this make? What pensioners get up before 9 anyway?

So? You're blabbering on about a complete irrelevance. Time of day is purely a distraction from the point, a diversion tactic from the fabric of this argument.

Just as many buses run at 11am as at 8:30am, it's just at 8:30am all the oldies and studes are still in bed which is why the buses are empty at this time. At 11am, there's probably an average of about 5 - 10 on each bus on their way to the bingo, uni, fish and chip shop or post office.

Actually, many routes have more buses in operation at peak hours. Time of day is entirely relevant since you claim that buses are only used by senior citizens going about apparently unimportant business. At peak times, when buses are most full, its not senior citizens who are travelling.

Which is true, they're not.

Proof?

Rust doesn't increase emissions. A perished trailing arm bush doesn't affect emmissions. A cracked CV joint doesn't affect emmissions. A worn ball joint doesn't affect emmissions.
List a way in which "lack of maintenance" can cause higher emissions. You can't.
The only thing I know of that affects emissions is if they decat it, which taxi drivers won't normally bother doing anyway.

You're right, rust doesn't affect emissions. A badly maintained engine does. You always want other people to find evidence for you. Where's your evidence that I'm wrong?

Top Bottom