Others in bus lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Sounds sensible.

I have never had any problems with motorbikes in bus lanes. Not so sure about mincabs, but they can't be any worse than black cabs........

What's funny is when people have no idea bus lanes have active hours and I get to undertake them all and save three or four phases of lights.........

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Sounds sensible.

I have never had any problems with motorbikes in bus lanes. Not so sure about mincabs, but they can't be any worse than black cabs........

What's funny is when people have no idea bus lanes have active hours and I get to undertake them all and save three or four phases of lights.........

col

Legendary Member
before you know it,there will be more hold ups in bus lanes,so late buses again.A classic where a taxi is waiting in the bus lane for a gap to go into the next lane,no one wants to give way,as usual,so the bus sits in the bus lane,designed to keep it on time,waiting for the taxi to be let into the other lane,it can only cause more hold ups.

col

Legendary Member
before you know it,there will be more hold ups in bus lanes,so late buses again.A classic where a taxi is waiting in the bus lane for a gap to go into the next lane,no one wants to give way,as usual,so the bus sits in the bus lane,designed to keep it on time,waiting for the taxi to be let into the other lane,it can only cause more hold ups.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
However as the amount of traffic in the city grows, road space is becoming increasingly valuable. We are now looking at ways to make more effective and efficient use of the roads
Is that not a contradiction in terms ? We have a two lane road so we'll close one down to anything but buses.
Hang on, the traffic jams are gettin worse. D'oh.

I will admit that B'ham city centre and the immediate suburbs do not have a traffic infrastructure that can cope with the amount of vehicles now on the road though.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
However as the amount of traffic in the city grows, road space is becoming increasingly valuable. We are now looking at ways to make more effective and efficient use of the roads
Is that not a contradiction in terms ? We have a two lane road so we'll close one down to anything but buses.
Hang on, the traffic jams are gettin worse. D'oh.

I will admit that B'ham city centre and the immediate suburbs do not have a traffic infrastructure that can cope with the amount of vehicles now on the road though.

dondare

Über Member
The best way to make the best use of road space is to stop allowing people to store things there. Empty cars, for instance.

dondare

Über Member
The best way to make the best use of road space is to stop allowing people to store things there. Empty cars, for instance.

domd1979

Veteran
No it isn't. A bus lane is capable of a greater throughput of passengers per hour than is a normal traffic lane full of single occupier cars.

I don't agree with taxis or PHVs in bus lanes either. They don't represent "sustainable transport" and it seems to me that the motive in allowing them is entirely political.

Elmer Fudd said:

domd1979

Veteran
No it isn't. A bus lane is capable of a greater throughput of passengers per hour than is a normal traffic lane full of single occupier cars.

I don't agree with taxis or PHVs in bus lanes either. They don't represent "sustainable transport" and it seems to me that the motive in allowing them is entirely political.

Elmer Fudd said:

Top Bottom