Ouch. Broken collar bone.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
IMG-20180818-WA0000.jpg

Overcooked the corner on a bridge at Forest Becks near Sawley and got my wheels onto gravel. There were two other crashes there within an hour of mine.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
View attachment 425627

Overcooked the corner on a bridge at Forest Becks near Sawley and got my wheels onto gravel. There were two other crashes there within an hour of mine.
Bugger................that looks like a possible op? Hope you're not in too much pain.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
No, the orthopaedic consultant took one look at me and just smiled. The physio who saw me at Urgent Care said it's rare to see anyone my age who has no medical issues at all. My neighbour is a radiographer and says she's seen much worse not pinned. Actually the bruising to my ribs is more painful when moving around. I'm the only one of my cycling group who hasn't crashed and for months I've been having premonitions about busting a collar bone, have never broken a bone and I thought it would hurt a lot more than this.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
No, the orthopaedic consultant took one look at me and just smiled. The physio who saw me at Urgent Care said it's rare to see anyone my age who has no medical issues at all. My neighbour is a radiographer and says she's seen much worse not pinned. Actually the bruising to my ribs is more painful when moving around. I'm the only one of my cycling group who hasn't crashed and for months I've been having premonitions about busting a collar bone, have never broken a bone I thought it would hurt a lot more than this.
You're lucky. Mine bloomin did! I still have the titanium plate and eight screws but he made a good job of it and it never bothers me at all. 4 years ago now right enough.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, I suppose that makes you a 'proper cyclist' then! :laugh:

I'm glad that it wasn't more serious or painful. Heal quickly.

At least it happened at the right end of the summer... Imagine if it had happened in mid-June and you'd had to sit out all of that glorious weather!

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Thanks all!

alicat

Legendary Member
Ouch! I was about to say welcome to the club then realised that I am not strictly speaking a member of the Bone Broken While Cycling Club.

pawl

Legendary Member
View attachment 425627

Don’t want to sound pessimistic.I broke mine two years ago.Consultant decided no op.aparrently 90%heei without surgical intervention After six months of x rays,some physio ha decided it was not going to heel properly.Askedhim if he would operate Respons was as I had 90% mobility’s day the risk as regards anaesthetic and my age iwas75 and couldn’t guarantee improved mobility. Could not be persuaded to operate despite advising him I had an Aortic valve replacement three years ago and survived that.
Got the feeling that he felt what’s the bloody idiot doing riding a bike at his age.It was the most painful injury i have had

If you are given the option of surgery I would seriously consider it.still aches sometimes but thankfully not on the bike. Site of the break has left a bony lump No longer a contender for Age Concern Mister Adonis

Hope all goes well for you.Keep us updated.

Top Bottom