Our Doctors Surgery is really very good. Whats yours like ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
On the (fortunately) few occasions I need to visit, the Doctor (choice of three) is always pleasant and appears genuinely interested. They give the impression that they have unlimited time for you.
When I was diagnosed with the big 'C' some 4 years ago they couldn't have been more helpful and managed to 'fast-track' the whole thing. I like to think that helped us catch it in time.

Yesterday my wife was visiting her 92 year old aunty as it was her birthday (She uses the same surgery). While there the phone rang...........it was her Doctor phoning to wish her a happy birthday.
How nice was that.

MikeG

Guru
Three years ago it was excellent, as you describe. Now it seems overwhelmed and barely coping.

gbb

Legendary Member
I rarely go but the surgery and staff are fine but I suspect the system is near overwhelmed.
I'll often see a practitioner nurse now..by choice, no idea why, its just evolved that way and I've always been happy with their effort. I assume they're there to take some of the strain off the docs. That said, if i thought I had something serious, God forbid, I'd ask for a doctor.
I just wish there was a system for non urgent appointments somehow you could say 'can I have an appointment sometime next week ? But no, you HAVE to ring on the day. That makes it quite difficult to organise if you're working...you may get an appointment, you may not, it may be in the morning....it may not.

Davos87

Guru
So fortunate that our village surgery is absolutely superb. Brilliant caring GP who go the extra mile, great practice nurses and lovely admin/reception staff all within a minutes walk from my front door. Cant praise them highly enough especially over the last few months when my lovely wife has faced some very serious health issues.

TVC

When I've used it, excellent, always seen the same day. They work by directing most 'new illness' appointments through a nurse. She either deals and gives advice or can immediately pass you on to the doctor. This keeps the minor stuff away from the Doc so he can concentrate with those who need his skill set.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Mine was awful for appointments - had to beg and then you would have to wait for a on Cal GP to call you back just to get in there and then there was a strict 10 min appointment. They actually listened to complaints and now there are 9 GP's all with every morning free. Trouble is most of them are fairly young locums. I have had a lot of appointments within the NHS lately. From the outside looking in the back end - Consultants appear to be on a go slow, comparatively to my experiences 20 years ago of packed waiting room and arriving for your 10am appointment but knowing you will be lucky to get out by 1pm!

I waited from Mid June to the 29th of September for an appointment with Immunology. When I got there two receptionist, 3 nurses and one Consultant. In a hour I never saw any fresh arrival and there were 3 of us in 2 waiting rooms each designed with seats for 35+ patients the Nurses seemed to have little to do. I as normal got there 20 minutes early and was processed straight away which is great but there were three ticked off on the list people before me and not much more than 4 after me (one of which hand been ticked. I couldn't fathom the two receptionists hardly a big rush! This has been the same going for CT's, MRI and other Consultants. It doesn't feel like there is any urgency and all the waiting room have been empty and I have never waited always early and always processed straight away. The CT at a large London hospital the bloke who arrived before was seen straight away as was I and I was 30 minutes early and he was 1.5 hours!

The other thing that caught me out, I hadn't read the full instructions I was supposed to bring my Passport (out of date) or Driving License to prove who I was my Driving licence is still the paper one. I thought I was going to get knocked back and it sounded like she might get some aggro and I was going to get a phone call.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Mine always says we're busy...
Last visit for medical..
It's nearly always like this , tho I've known it have 3-4 in there..i hate queues

20170605_162546.jpg

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member
Outstandingly good - arrived back from France on Monday with raging chest infection. Saw doctor on Tuesday, booked on line and chose 4pm apt as I know that doctor very well, could have had one with a new member of the team or a locum earlier in the day.

Scrip sent down electronically to Ground floor Pharmacy - Doctor and meds in 30 minutes

Oh yes, as well, I have a 9:45 appointment, tomorrow, Saturday with the GP of my choice who I have been seeing for 30 years to discuss long term management of a couple of conditions .

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Mine seems to be under severe strain. The waiting time for GP appointments can be five weeks. A routine blood test by the practice nurse might be three weeks after a request for one.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Mine always says were busy...
Last visit for medical..
It's nearly always like this , tho I've known it have 3-4 in there..i hate queues

View attachment 378494
Yup and mine is like that. Every time I saw a GP I was in on time and out in 10 minutes. I saw one and she has actually taken and interest in me, and I know I will arrive on time but will be lucky to get in to see her 30-40 miuntes later, even a 10.30am one. I thinks that is brilliant it shows she cares about everyone and doesn't care about the 10 minute slots.

J1888

Über Member
Pretty good for me, but I deal with my mum's GP a lot too - he's a lovely man and a fantastic Dr but he returns calls at 9pm, emails sometimes at 10pm...can't help but think he's seriously overworked. He is fantastic though.

Top Bottom