Our Doctors Surgery is really very good. Whats yours like ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Also excellent

Can book online if no rush or particular doc or appointment time. Emergencies always able to be seen same day

My GP is very understanding and helpful. But she has an amazing capacity to run late! Probably because spends too much time with her patients :smile:. I now book the first appointment or last if I can

All other Drs fine too and the nursing staff. The phlebotomist is v efficient, 4 min slots!

No complaints from me

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Letter sent out a few years ago saying, by them, saying they "were unsafe".

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
By the time i get my appointment i am well enough not to see the doctors, is there a way i could work out when i am ill. then i could make an appointment 3 or 4 weeks before i am ill. Then when it is time to get to the surgery i will be ill.:wacko::wacko:

screenman

Legendary Member
Mine sent a letter telling me they would like to do some early morning blood tests and could offer before work appointments, they do not open until 10am and the earliest they could fit me in was 12.10p.m. In three weeks time.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Our practice has 6 GPs - two are excellent, three are generally pretty good and the sixth is absolutely blooming useless. You can generally get an appointment same day if you ring or go online at the right time (although it might not be the GP of your choice), and booking in advance is usually fairly straightforward. They offer early morning (from 7am) and evening (to 7:30pm) a couple of days a week - although these were initially reserved for people who are at work during the day in the last 6 months or so these seem to be getting allocated to anyone who wants one on demand and are getting more difficult to book, which sort of misses the point.

The nurses aren't so good. There are meant to be 4 of them, but it seems like at least one of them is off "on the sick" or "stuck in traffic", you might have to wait three or four weeks for a nurses appointment (for a blood test it's far quicker just to get the paperwork and go to a walk in clinic at the hospital) and we've had several cancelled at short notice in the last year - a situation not helped by some of the nurses not being able to carry out the full spectrum of treatments. One of them seems incapable of starting her appointments on time and frequently runs anything up to an hour late.

snorri

Legendary Member
Last time I went to the surgery seeking an appointment to see a doctor there was some aaaing and oooooohing, then I was told "It's difficult, most of the doctors are off sick just now":sad:.
Then I was told I could have a telephonic consultation. I said that would be ok, but as I was going to be away from home for the rest of the day I would be pleased for the doc to phone me tomorrow. "Not possible, you must 'phone tomorrow to make appointment for tomorrow".
When I got home I realised I didn't have the 'phone number so checked on the practice website which gave 'the 'phone number and opening hours 0800 -1800.
At 0815 next morning I called the surgery to make appointment and was told , "not possible, only emergency staffing on duty at this time, 'phone back after 0830" An appointment was made at 0845 and I waited for the call from the doctor which came through well within an hour. After a few questions he said he would see me in the Minor Injuries Unit just as soon as I could get in there. Around 1000 I entered the reception area at the MIU to find it unstaffed:sad:........there was a bit of a saga there which I won't bore you with, but eventually was happy to be discharged 'fit for action' in mid morning:smile:.
I feel the place is not very efficiently run as it took a total of five interactions with Reception staff before I saw a Medic:sad:.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Yup and mine is like that. Every time I saw a GP I was in on time and out in 10 minutes. I saw one and she has actually taken and interest in me, and I know I will arrive on time but will be lucky to get in to see her 30-40 miuntes later, even a 10.30am one. I thinks that is brilliant it shows she cares about everyone and doesn't care about the 10 minute slots.

There is much truth in them words Sir

PK99

Legendary Member
Yup and mine is like that. Every time I saw a GP I was in on time and out in 10 minutes. I saw one and she has actually taken and interest in me, and I know I will arrive on time but will be lucky to get in to see her 30-40 miuntes later, even a 10.30am one. I thinks that is brilliant it shows she cares about everyone and doesn't care about the 10 minute slots.

When I had my DVT a few months ago, I went to see "my" GP as things were settling down. 10min appointment - I was in there 30 unburdening and seeking reassurance and felt under no pressure to cut it short.

Stephenite

Membå
Things are much the same over here in Oslo. I can't speak for the districts. You phone at 8 in the morning for an 'emergency' (the same day) appointment. Or you phone or book online for a non-urgent appointment and it's going to be 2/3/4 weeks.

When i see my GP I'm in and out in a few short minutes. There is another GP though who doesn't give a flying eff about the time slots. One time we saw a video about mindfulness together. It really did the trick. I knew he'd seen this ten times or more. I had seen it once already. The doctor was so calm and focused, concentrating on the video - living 'in the moment'. I was witnessing mindfulness in front of me! I learned more there and then about mindfulness than any books or videos could teach me. I think he knew what he was doing. He was being a healer.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
When I had my DVT a few months ago, I went to see "my" GP as things were settling down. 10min appointment - I was in there 30 unburdening and seeking reassurance and felt under no pressure to cut it short.
The younger ones were winding me down at 7 mins and constant glances at the PC time. I have rarely gone to the Dr's in 52 years I have been more often in the last 24 months than my whole life probably not the best time to have a health issue that's hard to figure out. I have not come across that many decent Dr's in that time Consultants private and NHS. The whole system seems designed to frustrate the illness out of you long waits and then weird diagnosis that make no sense to me let alone Dr Google, then discharged back to the GP.

This is the first GP who has listened to me rather than look at a history littered with the same but wrong diagnosis, but even she is frustrated by the NHS and by the consultants.

Top Bottom