Out Of Touch, Part 2, Shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So after some great technical help from here regarding stripping down my bike I have now painted said bike. I was going to get my mate to do it but his bodyshop is mega busy at the moment so just used up the many half empty spray cans in the garage. The available cans dictated the colour, not really to my liking but I haven't spent any new money.

The pictures below show from primer to finished. As I have a lot more pictures for my next query I will start a seperate post.

BIKE PAIN 2.JPG
BIKE PRIMER 1.JPG
BIKE PAINT 1.JPG

So for my next query, I want to change the bike from drop to flat bars, I have two drop bar bikes for "serious riding" and just want this one as a cheap and cheerful runaround without spending a lot of money, my biggest expense I expect to be a new rear wheel which got totalled.

So I was looking at either these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-Shifter-Suitable-Cantilever-Official/dp/B013US6RFU
or these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHIMANO-ST-EF65-8-SHIFTERS-INTEGRATED-LEVERS/dp/B073XPMHZY

Just need opinion on if they will work with what I have now. Below are pictures of my current shifters, my front and rear mech stuff.

SHIFTER 1.JPG
SHIFTER 2.JPG
SHIFTER 3.JPG

Right, what groupset is on there now? OK, Sora.
Ez-fire shifters of the same number of speeds will work up to nine , as far as I'm aware. The front mech will need changing unless you can find some flat bar versions of the groupset you have.

Last edited:
That's my experience with the identical groupset. This pair will definitely do the lot, and if you need it, there's a triple chainring version, using ST-R243L shifter.
Sorry to appear a bit daft, (this whole build is a learning curve for me) but are you saying I won't need to change the front mech if i use the ones you have shown (mine is a triple by the way) For clarity I have just been in the garage and what I have is as follows
Right Shifter..Shimano Sora Flight Deck
Left Shifter..Shimano Triple
Brakes..Deore V Brakes
Font Mech..Has Sora sticker on it as does the pedal attached to the chain rings
Rear Mech..Has nothing on it.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Top Bottom