Out Of Touch, Part 3, Spacer or Not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So with many thanks to @DCBassman I have shifters for my flat bar conversion that shift!!.

Front triple is no problem but am struggling to get it onto the biggest rear cog, (8 speed)

The wheel that was on the bike was a Mavic A319 which is designated as 8 speed. This wheel was totalled in the accident. In the spirit of spending as little as possible I used an old rear wheel I had in the shed from an Allez Sport that was nine speed.

The hub measured exactly the same, and after reading on the internet I decided I didn't need a spacer to go from 9 to 8.

What do the good people here think, should I have put a spacer behind the 8 speed cassette.

Cheers in advance.

Shouldn't be an issue...B screw adjustment?

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
I would say that you don`t need a spacer but maybe the L limit screw needs adjusting due to the slight differences in wheel / cassette combination. You may also need to check the H limit screw as well otherwise the chain may go over too far and jam between the chain stay and the smallest cog. This appears to be quite a good guide.
http://www.madegood.org/bikes/repair/set-a-limit-screw-on-a-rear-derailleur/

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I used to run an 8 speed cassette on a deore 10 speed hub. The spacer went between the freehub and hub, not between cassette and freehub...

I think.

There was defo a spacer though.

Thanks guys, haven't had chance to have a fettle today so will be put on hold for a few days.

Under the surgeons knife tomorrow so will be out of Heath Robinson action for a few days.

Will report back when sorted.

boydj

Legendary Member
A new wheel could definitely require minor adjustments to the limit screws on the rear mech. Disconnect the cable and check the movement in the mech once you are back on your feet.

Hope all goes well tomorrow.

Bike is done, many thanks to @Slioch for crank removal advice and @DCBassman for recommending shifters (which work a treat) for conversion from drops to riser flats.

bike44.JPG
bike45.JPG

Top Bottom